Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.12 Pushing For "An Awesome Release On Wayland"

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.12 Pushing For "An Awesome Release On Wayland"

While today's release of KDE Plasma 5.11 brings with it many Wayland improvements, KWin maintainer Martin Flöser (né Gräßlin) is proposing to get the Plasma 5.12 support into better shape on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Redshift and screenrecording.

Those are the two showstoppers for me, as soon as those are fixed I would be happy to switch to Wayland even though it might impact my gaming performance. I'm fine with minor bugs and bad performance now when it's still not mature and stable, but those two features are essential for me.

Comment

redshift should theoretically work: AFAIK it has a direct DRM mode. Pure theoretical speculation though...

Comment

Thanks Martin for making that request. I'm pretty sure that if all devs will switch to Wayland it doesn't take too long to close the remaining annoyances. Personally I try to use Plasma-Wayland as often as I can. The remaining issues are for me:
        - System crash/freeze when I logout of Plasma-Wayland (could be an issue of SDDM)
        - Scaling factor of 2x for HiDPI cannot be turned off (probably KDE Frameworks 5.39 will fix this)
        - Keyboard doesn't work in remote virtual machines (probably XWayland 1.20 will fix this)
        - Mouse pointer locking/focus doesn't work in all games

There are several other issues like when LibreOffice doesn't work on Wayland as of XDG Shell changes (propably fixed in master), SDDM doesn't work on Wayland natively yet and several smaller crashes e.g. in systemsettings or plasmashell, but at least Kwin usually continues to work and a new plasmashell can be opened. In my opinion Plasma-Wayland has improved a lot and I can use it already quite stable for normal desktop usage.

Comment

Last time I tested KDE on Wayland, it had a couple of very serious issues that were probably repercussions caused by the Qt 5.8 (?)-related Wayland fuckups. Other than that, and if I finally manage to make some input method work, I'll gladly switch. Now if only SDDM had a Wayland-based greeter...

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
            Last time I tested KDE on Wayland, it had a couple of very serious issues that were probably repercussions caused by the Qt 5.8 (?)-related Wayland fuckups. Other than that, and if I finally manage to make some input method work, I'll gladly switch. Now if only SDDM had a Wayland-based greeter...
            What do you mean by make some input method work? Keyboard layout?

Comment

There are lots of people who are using nVidia driver. KDE Wayland is no go for them.
              Rob
              email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
                There are lots of people who are using nVidia driver. KDE Wayland is no go for them.
                Or the nVidia driver is a no go ;-) It is not the fault of KDE, blame nVidia for not fixing their problems for years. If somebody really want to use the nVidia closed firmware blob then just stick with X.

Comment

Yeah, Martin made it clear that they are not going to support two different ways of speaking to drivers. NVIDIA was aware for years that Wayland was happening, major toolkits finished their Wayland support, GNOME finished porting to it, and then NVIDIA came and said "we want all of you to redo all of that work and do it our way".

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Or the nVidia driver is a no go ;-) It is not the fault of KDE, blame nVidia for not fixing their problems for years. If somebody really want to use the nVidia closed firmware blob then just stick with X.
                    Nvidia doesn't have a problem. They sell hardware and they have a driver that puts hardware's capabilities in the hands of users. Technically speaking, that's where their responsibility ends. That's how the "problem" looks in Nvidia's eyes and that's why there see no pressure to change.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck with the blob and X. And everything works as well as ever.

Guest I don't know how much of the code needs to be duplicated in order to support EGLStreams, but it's certainly not "all of the work". It's probably (way) less than 10% of that. But at the same time I can't fault KDE for not having the resources to do it.
                    Last edited by bug77; 11 October 2017, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X