Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin Running On Wayland Gets Real-Time Scheduling

Phoronix: KDE's KWin Running On Wayland Gets Real-Time Scheduling

When KDE's KWin is acting as a Wayland compositor, there's now a real-time scheduling policy to ensure the graphical system is always responsive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gnome really needs something similar for mouse cursor responsiveness. Bad enough that even with flat cursor acceleration setting in Gnome Tweaks it doesn't feel like real 1:1 position mapping, but additionally the cursor also likes to stop and stutter occasionally. How please is this supposed to be "production ready"?
    Not meant as Gnome bashing, it just seem to me that many people aren't critical enough how well Wayland compositors work these days compared to Xorg.

Comment

Finally Why Kwin involves CPu instead of GPu? When Kde will be ready for wayland?

Comment

Pretty sure Mac OS does this and has wired memory as well. The system can be deadlocked and my mouse still zooms around.

Nice on Linux is so powerful it’s probably a safer option. Running a task as nice -15 it might as well be real-time.

Comment

This will be an awesome improvement for Kwin to always stay responsive! Sounds like a dream, the window manager, applications without issues, keyboard and mouse work even if there are some faulty applications :-) If now the graphic drivers wouldn't be able to crash the hole system anymore and just would do a proper reser... I guess too many whises for a day :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Finally Why Kwin involves CPu instead of GPu?
            GPU can handle input (keyboard, mice, touchpad...)?

Comment

In theory it's fine, but in practise is it often young code, which causes hangs and irresponsiveness. To give the still young Wayland components real-time priority bears risks of its own. I'd say it's a ballsy move, but not necessarily the wisest.

Comment

wow very nice! as sometimes when a program freezes it also freezes the whole system and you cannot kill it. why they dont implement this for X as well?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Gnome really needs something similar for mouse cursor responsiveness. Bad enough that even with flat cursor acceleration setting in Gnome Tweaks it doesn't feel like real 1:1 position mapping, but additionally the cursor also likes to stop and stutter occasionally. How please is this supposed to be "production ready"?
                  Man, FunkSTAR will not be happy to read this!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Man, FunkSTAR will not be happy to read this!
                    I can see the foaming at the mouth already

Comment

Working...
                    X