Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Planning For A Wayland Tech Preview In RHEL 7.5

Phoronix: Red Hat Planning For A Wayland Tech Preview In RHEL 7.5

The next update to RHEL, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5, is expected to include a Wayland technical preview within its GNOME Shell session...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm looking forward to cri-o as a tech preview (or fully supported) in RHEL 7.5 also.

Comment

This is nice but I tend to think of RHEL as a headless server distro. I'd rather they spent time on fixing the 7.4 kernel under Xen. It's been unfixed for two weeks now. It's bad enough that they broke such a widely-used platform in the first place. Either they didn't bother to test or they deliberately left it broken because they favour their own platform. There is a fix from CentOS but you have to jump through a couple of hoops and if you want to build a new guest, you have to pin the installer back to 7.3.

Comment

It's obvious that RH does not think Wayland is ready yet, otherwise it would be default.

Comment

If it weren't for the mir idea years ago I wonder if wayland development would have speeded up to the point where it is now

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
            It's obvious that RH does not think Wayland is ready yet, otherwise it would be default.
            You must not work with enterprise software... that they're transitioning it in means that they think that it's ready. You don't do hard switches in enterprise.

Originally posted by edoantonioco
            If it weren't for the mir idea years ago I wonder if wayland development would have speeded up to the point where it is now
            It's been said how many times now? Mir had no effect on wayland development. Wayland: The Protocol was made v1 years ago... what took so long is that the entire software ecosystem had to be shifted from hard dependencies on Xorg to supporting Wayland, which needless to say was years worth of work, which in KDE's case they first needed to shift their software over to Qt5 and KF5 before they could support Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
              Red Hat pays me to shill.
              It's good work if you can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

It's good work if you can get it.
                Comment of the day haha

Comment

I wouldn't pay GhostOfFunkS a dollar an hour.
                  He's the worst shill of all. Someone who doesn't even know the product and has no technological background.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                    This is nice but I tend to think of RHEL as a headless server distro. I'd rather they spent time on fixing the 7.4 kernel under Xen. It's been unfixed for two weeks now. It's bad enough that they broke such a widely-used platform in the first place. Either they didn't bother to test or they deliberately left it broken because they favour their own platform. There is a fix from CentOS but you have to jump through a couple of hoops and if you want to build a new guest, you have to pin the installer back to 7.3.
                    get used to it. The quality is bad; difficult to believe they test code.

I have now seen known bugs to be not fixed while confirming they knew it.
                    I have seen f*-ups that are known for two months that only need a small
                    rewrite of the spec file to fix dependencies. And what happens is that they
                    send out a solution (a work around when you already have gotten to the
                    point where for instance RPM/YUM are b0rked) and then they state "yes but
                    you do have a work around?

I would think they test it better like openqua like other companies do.
                    I would think that if the initial problem is popped up, they fix it to have the
                    number of affected servers low. But no.... they know issues since 01 aug 2017
                    a week ago it was not fixed yet (dependencies adding..)

And other issues where they know that systems won't boot..... are known since 2015 (!!!!)

RH only wants money. They don't want happy customers. Good for other
                    enterprise linux makes though.

Comment

Working...
                    X