Libinput 1.9 Is Around The Corner With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
    And a quick reminder to those who believe the Wayland stack is not ready to advance to enterprise level; Brace yourself. Because RH is targeting features for RHEL 7.5 that will require Wayland adoption. Yeah, that's right GNOME/Wayland in RHEL.
    This would be pretty sweet. Can we get some links to where you found this info?

Comment

Yeah, RH is here to push a standard stack, including GNOME. We all know that. My point is that NOONE else are doing the hard work to make things work. Look kde can't even do their own toolkit, how would anyone expect them to rebuild an entire stack after Wayland adoption? It is simply not going to happen.
      That is certainly an Interesting perspective on history you have.

I would expect that the KDE developers work hard on making KDE the best DE they can.

I am sure the Gnome developers do the same.

But right here you are comparing Redhat, A billing dollar Linux company that provides all sorts of fun things on its Operating System, to KDE A Desktop Environment that most certainly does not have a billion dollars of turnover. These things are not the same.

Comment

GNOME is not tangential here, it fits RH's stack just like all the other standard components mentioned by you. Too butthurt to accept this?

What is important here is not how much RH/GNOME do. It is how little kde does. The narrative that Wayland adoption is about "collaboration" is just silly when kde doesn't show up or put up. We all know kde has lesser ressources and even fewer proffesionals so it is not like there is high expectations. But can we at least expect some basement dweller hacker effort predicted by the Bazaar theory? Apparently No, at least not from kde.
        Of course KDE has to collaborate to improve Wayland adoption! Just like the devs from i3, Sway, bspwm, ratpoison, Enlightenment, etc. Michael could also help. And hey, YOU could also help!

Come on dude, cool your jets. It's not all about collaboration, it's about making Wayland great. And that's already happening, with or without KDE and the others. No need for everyone to chip in.

Comment

Hmm, came to rejoice about palm detection and extra touch discarding.

Found random flame war that assumes people belong to companies/organizations.

Comment

GNOME is not tangential here, it fits RH's stack just like all the other standard components mentioned by you.
            Yes, GNOME is just part of a stack, and its developers are just paid by RH, so when they also contribute to other relevant projects, it's not "GNOME contributing to X", it's RH.

What is important here is not how much RH/GNOME do. It is how little kde does.
            Let's introduce the concept of relativity.
            You compare a work of volunteers from an opensource foundation running on donations only (that you keep bashing about not getting enough money), and you think that not performing like a team of developers paid by a billion-dollar company that is also working is somehow bad.

Does not matter how much you respin this.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
              - Touchpads now ignore extra fingers while the pointer-controlling finger is moving.

Whyyyyyy?

This is a feature I love! When my second finger hits the touchpad it's because I put my finger on the god damn touchpad. I don't have parkinsons. Being able to go from cursor moving to scrolling is great.

Who suggested that shit?
              With all due respect, have you considered the needs of those that do have early onset/Parkinsons?
              And have you considered the fact that everything you just mentioned can be done with just two fingers anyways?
              Least of all, this should be an option (with the newer model set to default).

Plus, if you were such an uber wizard that is just the master of using his input options as efficiently as possible, why don't you scroll/switch tabs with the keyboard? It's even faster than the touchpad, and allows you to put your fingers "on the god damn keyboard" as you please.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Truth is that Linux in general would be in total shit shape without RH (systemd, PulseAudio, containers and flatpacks, KVM, Wayland and others).

GNOME is just tangential here (GNOME devs paid by RH are doing other stuff around). That's the truth that hurts you.
                Oh you mean it would be in BETTER shape and we wouldnt have splintered desktops that work half assed because developers are all over the place now?

Comment

Working...
                X