Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Loses Some Of Its X11 Dependence

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Loses Some Of Its X11 Dependence

One of the interesting Google Summer of Code projects this year associated with the GNOME project was on reworking the Mutter compositor from requiring X11/XWayland code-paths for starting the Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't see myself switching to wayland in the next year or so anyways, but it would be nice if at least gbm could run without spawning an xwayland instance.

Comment

Great work Armin!

I hope he ends up finishing the other part of the work too to run Waylands clients without any X11.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
        I don't see myself switching to wayland in the next year or so
        it looks like you are using outdated distro

Comment

to Armine!

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            it looks like you are using outdated distro
            Nah, i'm running gnome 3.24.2 and have tested wayland with every major release, but so far i've always encountered more glitches and less perceived performance compared to x11 with no apparent benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
              so far i've always encountered more glitches and less perceived performance compared to x11 with no apparent benefit.
              but how does this allow you to predict future?

Comment

I actually ran GNOME on Wayland for a long time until a couple of months ago when the compositor started crashing deep down in the JS engine when closing windows. Otherwise it was fine, although a bit slow on my hardware.

Comment

Wow, this is pretty massive if it finally allows a login screen with GDM without having XWayland running. That's severely reduced attack surface

Comment

I need the following things to switch to Wayland:
                    1) libglvnd support in Xserver itself so I can run 3d applications using xwayland on nvidia.
                    2) either gimp ported to gtk3 or mutter no longer glitches when resizing the gtk2 windows running through xwayland.
                    3) Most importantly, gnome-shell/mutter memory usage needs to become more static since 'alt-f2 -> r' doesn't work on wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X