Kodi's Wayland Support Was Successfully Revived With GSoC 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

No. If you want something like that just stay on X.
    Yea? KDE and Sway already support Server-Side Decorations, protokol from Kwin. And even exist a patch for GTK. So, the right way - is implement Kwin's Server Decorations protocol to the upstream Wayland, or Wayland-Protocols

Comment

Kwin and Sway have not developed Wayland.
      They've certainly helped develop Wayland.
      Wayland isn't a one man/company project. It's a standardised protocol.

Comment

I agree with Sunderland93 here. Kwin's SSD protocol is the way to go IMO. Hopefully, we will see it integrated in GNOME (and would also solve the MPV issue right away).

Meanwhile, a very light decorations toolkit could be used to handle the protocol and some fallback basic decorations (say, a minimal, 1-source-file-include library), sort of what Xake proposed.

Comment

Kwin and Sway have not developed Wayland.
          Yeah, it was mostly Intel's pet project.

Comment

Originally posted by Xake View Post
            ...but maybe they can come together and do their own light-csd-library so they do not have to rely on gtk/qt/any other bigger project, and still do not have to reinvent the wheel themselves...
            Maybe, just maybe they will find others that want to support wayland, do not want to use more mature but larger toolkits, but a light just-csd-toolkit , that they can work together with?
            Yeah, let's fix stuff that is lacking in the protocol by asking everyone to add a library to his project.

Comment

Can you back your opinion with links to some commits?
              Perhaps you should practice what you preach first? Just a thought.

Comment

Can you back your opinion with links to some commits?
                While I'm not unixfan2001, I decided to reply to this question.

First of all, making commits is not the only way to contribute to software (or protocol) development. There are other very important things like participating to conversation. Also Gnome is probably the biggest user of Wayland, so it's not surprising that its developers do bulk of the work. I also don't think that Gnome developers would not listen to reasonable arguments from other people (Gnome has guidelines, you know). I don't remember how the CSD vs. SSD discussion went, but hopefully that issue will be addressed and there is some unified way to do the missing window decorations when needed (if it is protocol to tell compositor to render them or libcsd or something, I don't know).

Anyway, since you asked for commits, maybe these help you:
                [PATCH wayland-protocols] Add notification area protocol version 1 (says that he has implementation for Sway)
                [PATCHv3] Add surface-layers protocol (from main Sway developer)
                While this is not a patch, I think it's also important to take part in discussions: Collaboration on standard Wayland protocol extensions
                More from him: site:lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel "sir at cmpwn.com" - Google search (sorry, but ddg didn't seem to find any of these)

But really, you should accept that there are more Wayland developers than just Gnome developers. Even that guy who did the work to support Wayland on Kodi said on his blog that he contributed to Wayland and/or it's implementations.

Btw, this is just Sway developer contributions. I didn't even check how much Kwin developers (mostly Martin Gräßlin) have contributed.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
                  Depending on gtk just for window decorations on wayland
                  not on gtk, but on shared library
                  Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  But not everything is a gtk app...
                  but everything could use shared library. alternatively gifted ones could make their own library for drawing csd or ask gtk to make one for them
                  Wayland *needs* a SSD protocol
                  it doesn't. it's a local stuff, no need to talk to compositor

Comment

That's a great attitude to get people to adopt your technology, I must say...

everyone already adopted it

Comment

That's still far from ideal. One, it's still an external dependency that your app needs to handle. And two, the decorations provided by this little library would not integrate into the environment (unless the library had hooks for every compositor out there, but that would be a maintenance nightmare and possibly wouldn't fit into a library that intends to be light).

But if the environment provides SSD, it knows exactly how the decoration should look like and most importantly, how it should function - placement of elements such as minimize/maximize/close, context menu providing various functions and other such stuff.
                      your argument is ridiculous. your ssd shit is the library with remote procedure call. by making it normal library you will get all its benefits but much easier. if you are not smart enough to design library which will use correct theme, maybe you should just stop giving your stupid advice?

Comment

Working...
                      X