Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.14 & Weston 3.0 Released

Phoronix: Wayland 1.14 & Weston 3.0 Released

Bryce Harrington has just tagged the Wayland 1.14 update that is joined by the Weston 3.0 reference compositor release, which is seeing another major version bump due to API/ABI breakage compared to the previous Weston 2.0 release cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo.....

Is wayland ready yet?

Comment

Is fractional scaling supported yet? On both of my devices using 1x is too small and 2x is too big. Seems Wayland doesn't support anything in between just yet. Probably the main item keeping me from using Wayland right now.

Comment

Does X allow fractional scaling?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
          GNOME: Ready.

Other compositors: Rotting In Threes.
          Umm right.

Comment

So now we're all using Wayland by default, and most is fine and dandy, but are we seeing any actual user-end improvements? Performance? Stability? Security?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
              So now we're all using Wayland by default, and most is fine and dandy, but are we seeing any actual user-end improvements? Performance? Stability? Security?
              Queue the tumbleweeds?

Comment

An Intel user here, and yes I'm seeing no tearing by default under Wayland (unlike the TearFree, DRI2 options that I had to use with Xorg + the performance penalty that I get with them) and a more smooth/fluid experience as a whole.

There're still some "annoyances" for sure need to be fixed like screen capture, Nvidia hybrid cards support (AKA NVIDIA Optimus), XWayland GLX over Nvidia, and some bugs here and there. Some of those bugs reside in the toolkits and compositors though.

Comment

Originally posted by AnassAhmed View Post

An Intel user here, and yes I'm seeing no tearing by default under Wayland (unlike the TearFree, DRI2 options that I had to use with Xorg + the performance penalty that I get with them) and a more smooth/fluid experience as a whole.

I never
                  There're still some "annoyances" for sure need to be fixed like screen capture, Nvidia hybrid cards support (AKA NVIDIA Optimus), XWayland GLX over Nvidia, and some bugs here and there. Some of those bugs reside in the toolkits and compositors though.
                  I never had tearing problems, but perhaps that's because I've had AMD cards since many years back.
                  OK, so we have one improvement... Anything else? Re-writing the whole display server for one end-user gain feels a bit extreme.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that maintaining X was more and more of a pain, and doing anything new within it was usually like _working against_ the actual design of the server. I get that... but I'm still very curious as to whether we are actually seeing any measurable gains.

Comment

I never had tearing problems, but perhaps that's because I've had AMD cards since many years back.
                    OK, so we have one improvement... Anything else? Re-writing the whole display server for one end-user gain feels a bit extreme.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that maintaining X was more and more of a pain, and doing anything new within it was usually like _working against_ the actual design of the server. I get that... but I'm still very curious as to whether we are actually seeing any measurable gains.
                    Other benefit is that I'm *feeling* more secure using Wayland, but this wouldn't be useful I use completely sanboxed apps that work through XDG-Portals (where there's none at the time of writing). I disliked the idea that Xorg needed to be root to work, and I disliked that apps can spy on each other. Though, I certainly miss the ability to share my desktop using classic sharing apps/chat clients, and I'm waiting for something Wayland-friendly to arise.

This world wouldn't be a complete reality until the stagnant apps that use XWayland move to Wayland by default, and start making use of XDG/Flatpak Portals.

Comment

Working...
                    X