It Looks Like Canonical Is Still Committed To Wayland On Ubuntu 17.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Ouch. That will give full access to all X clients in the session to any local user.

The trick described by Veerappan is better, the question is whey it's necessary with Xwayland but not with Xorg. Maybe $XAUTHORITY isn't getting propagated in the Wayland case, or something like that. Anyway, probably not a fundamental issue but just a bug somewhere. Please make sure it's reported in the appropriate bug tracker.
    Thanks for the constructive comment. Unlike others here who just spew hate, you actually bring in something to the table .

I'll stop spreading that command as I was doing. Locally I was running -local: after usage, to stop the lack of security. Perhaps I should make this more clear.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

It is a design decision. Software that runs as root will not be allowed on Wayland desktop, not even if it runs through Xwayland. You can read more about it in these bug reports:
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...c/+bug/1551951 (check comment #3)
      https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1274451#c71 (I set the anchor to a good comment about this, but there is more)
      https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=818366 (doesn't really add much value here, but the issue noted in multiple places)
      All that discussion is about native Wayland clients. Veerappan's sugo script clearly shows that synaptic still runs via X11 -> Xwayland though, in which case things can still work the same way as with Xorg.

Comment

All that discussion is about native Wayland clients. Veerappan's sugo script clearly shows that synaptic still runs via X11 -> Xwayland though, in which case things can still work the same way as with Xorg.
        ..which makes quite a lot of sense since XWayland is intended to be something that allows migration to happen without major redesign of software

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Synaptic doesn't work on Wayland, I think for two reasons.
          It needs superuser privileges and Wayland is designed in such way that GUI applications can't work with superuser privileges.
          Also, I think there might be one line in the code case that does an X11 call.
          The synaptic package manager. Contribute to mvo5/synaptic development by creating an account on GitHub.

Please contribute to the project if you know C++.
          https://github.com/mvo5/synaptic
          So... when wayland becomes mainstream, we will have to go back to the console in order to install/remove software?...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

So... when wayland becomes mainstream, we will have to go back to the console in order to install/remove software?...
            No. Newer package manager GUIs support running as user and only elevating permissions when it is required. Synaptic could implement this as well.

Comment

Well yes. I tried to say that Wayland developers don't want root user's windows on the desktop and that's why also Xwayland can't run software as root by default. There is nothing that prevents user from allowing it though, if they really want it.

I personally would prefer that all (relevant) software was properly updated to run as regular user and they would just ask for permission to do particular tasks as root. Right now I'm missing most GParted, because Gnome Disks doesn't have all the capabilities (like growing and shrinking, luckily they are working on this).

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

No, you can use GNOME Software.

Comment

Working...
                X