• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Before launching Synapctic, just type:
    Code:
    xhost +local:
    Ouch. That will give full access to all X clients in the session to any local user.

The trick described by Veerappan is better, the question is whey it's necessary with Xwayland but not with Xorg. Maybe $XAUTHORITY isn't getting propagated in the Wayland case, or something like that. Anyway, probably not a fundamental issue but just a bug somewhere. Please make sure it's reported in the appropriate bug tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Ironic that you want to see a screen recording of a wayland session, since that is not even supported yet.

There is no API in Gnomes mutter to do any screen recording so that's currently impossible to do unless you start modifying the mutter compositor yourself. Weston has support for screen recording, but to it's own strange lossless format which you need to convert to something sane afterwards (see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...cast_recording)

All screen recoring apps are fundamentally broken on Wayland, all window tracking programs are broken (such as rescuetime, selfspy and activitywatch), all screenshot programs are broken*, all colortinting programs are broken (such as redshift).

* screenshot and colortinting is supported by GNOMEs built-in screenshot tool and redshift-like functionality, but there's no wayland standard to do things which would require every DE to implement it which is stupid and would only create a lot of code duplication and smaller window managers to likely not have that support for it at all.
      That is simply untrue. Weston and Sway, and I think Gnome too, all support screen capturing, albeit in a non-standardized way at the moment. Conventional X-bound utilities won't work ofc.

Redshift is also supported in Sway. I don't know if Gnome supports it under Wayland.

To be clear, I'm not against your frustration regarding this mess, I'm just mentioning you can indeed work around this in an ugly way.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
        There is no need for a shared solution on screenshots. GNOME is the standard anyway. It is not like the other compositors are actively involved in Wayland development anyway...
        There we go again, I wish you'd at least try to put some effort into your shitposts man, it's getting pretty lame.
        I'm sincerely sorry for you, you must be going through a lot these past few days.

edit: Irrelevant since I can't think of any way you could possibly chain-troll this, but for the record, we're talking about screen capturing in general, screenshots are but a part of this
        Last edited by kon14; 04 August 2017, 08:51 AM. Reason: additions

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
          The trick described by Veerappan is better, the question is whey it's necessary with Xwayland but not with Xorg. Maybe $XAUTHORITY isn't getting propagated in the Wayland case, or something like that. Anyway, probably not a fundamental issue but just a bug somewhere. Please make sure it's reported in the appropriate bug tracker.
          It is a design decision. Software that runs as root will not be allowed on Wayland desktop, not even if it runs through Xwayland. You can read more about it in these bug reports:
          https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...c/+bug/1551951 (check comment #3)
          https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1274451#c71 (I set the anchor to a good comment about this, but there is more)
          https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=818366 (doesn't really add much value here, but the issue noted in multiple places)

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post
            They seem very committed to wayland as both the "Ubuntu" and "Ubuntu on Wayland" sessions run Ubuntu on Wayland, there is currently no way to actually run Ubuntu 17.10 on Xorg.
            Yeah, I can confirm this too. You need to disable Wayland by uncommenting the line:
            Code:
            WaylandEnable=false
            at /etc/gdm/custom.conf in order to be able to use Gnome on xorg at the moment. However, I expect that the sessions will change a lot until the beta release, since they said that they will probably add also a vanilla gnome session.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

By default, no, it does not.

I am able to use Synaptic in wayland by launching it with the following script that I've got saved in my path:

e.g. script saved as 'sugo'
              Code:
              #!/bin/sh
              [ -n "$@" ] || exit 0
              xhost si:localuser:root
              sudo $@
              xhost -si:localuser:root
              And then just run
              Code:
              sugo synaptic
              Thank you very much for that. I had no idea that this could be done so simply!

Comment

I was wondering what would happen if you (try to) run Xephyr, a nested X server. It's X servers all the way down. Or what about ssh -X root@localhost?

For me it's good news that Ubuntu 17.10 comes with Wayland! gives me a reason to try it, I'm curious to see if my hardware is compatible, if it will run slooow or not, if Wayland session is actually faster than X11 session or you know, how much CPU is wasted copying stuff into opengl textures and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                  Or what about ssh -X root@localhost?
                  I have actually tried that before, and it seems to work. It's a bit awkward though!

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

As hardware is always getting faster, much of the software that remains X-bound and unable to be updated to use wayland will eventually get to a state that it will be faster using Xwayland than it was on X at time of launch.

It will also potentially have the added benefit of increased security.
                    As hardware gets replaced every 10 years or so naaah, it will have trouble getting faster magically on its own

You can even go backwards : underclock to keep it cool and reliable and have better perf/watt. Replace failing old GPU with a low power but slow Radeon 5450. Or simply get a laptop with a 6W CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
                      I have actually tried that before, and it seems to work. It's a bit awkward though!
                      Cool! It might be a fairly stupid and lazy way to work, but it's good to hear that ssh -X "auto-negociates" the security as well as usual.

Comment

Working...
                      X