It Looks Like Canonical Is Still Committed To Wayland On Ubuntu 17.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Looks Like Canonical Is Still Committed To Wayland On Ubuntu 17.10

Phoronix: It Looks Like Canonical Is Still Committed To Wayland On Ubuntu 17.10

There has been some mixed messages by Ubuntu developers in recent weeks about the default GNOME Shell session planned for Ubuntu 17.10 and whether Wayland would be used. The latest is that Wayland-by-default is still on...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With so many changes, you can bet Ubuntu 17.10 will be a rough experience on the first months. BUT, those brave souls using it will contribute to a better user experience in 18.04.

So go on my lab rats, go and make Ubuntu great again, so we stuck in 16.04 can have a more solid experience next year :-)

Comment

I've been using Wayland on Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 on my laptop since april and I haven't run into any problems yet. Even games work as well as can be expected with Intel 620 graphics, but for gaming I mostly use my desktop PC.
      My desktop has nvidia graphics so it's still stuck on X (the nouveau drivers were extremely unstable for me). It could be nvidia in general, but have the feeling that Gnome runs better on Wayland.

I've tried Wayland with Fedora 26 in a virtual machine (VMWare running on Windows) and they even fixed auto resizing.

I'm hopeful that Ubuntu and Fedora switching to Wayland as a default are going to push nvidia towards releasing Wayland compatible drivers.

Comment

The Synaptic package manager does not work under Wayland.

XWayland will still be used to run Firefox, Chromium, GIMP and Electron-based apps such as Atom, Skype, Spotify and VS Code.
        Electron still uses GTK2 and is built using Chromium 56 but there is a pull request (#9946) to build it against Chromium 59.
        Last edited by uid313; 03 August 2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

XWayland will still be used to run Firefox, Chromium, GIMP and Electron-based apps such as Atom, Skype, Spotify and VS Code.
          Electron still uses GTK2 and is built using Chromium 56 but there is a pull request (#9946) to build it against Chromium 59.
          If Synaptic's not working on Wayland (either through XWayland or any other backwards compatible layer) then I can't use Wayland.

Comment

If it was just those applications, there are literally thousand of applications that will run under xwayland including every steam game which sucks due to the frame drop of doing so, wayland is going to be for hipsters for the next ten years, people that really want to use a computer will stay on X

Comment

Canonical mentioned at GUADEC that they intend on using Wayland during 17.10 so they get feedback if it'll be good enough to use for 18.04 (LTS).

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              Too bad Policy Kit is required to use Wayland. We don't need[..]
              It's a dependency so we do need it. You might want to not use 'we' when talking about yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

If it was just those applications, there are literally thousand of applications that will run under xwayland including every steam game which sucks due to the frame drop of doing so, wayland is going to be for hipsters for the next ten years, people that really want to use a computer will stay on X
                As hardware is always getting faster, much of the software that remains X-bound and unable to be updated to use wayland will eventually get to a state that it will be faster using Xwayland than it was on X at time of launch.

It will also potentially have the added benefit of increased security.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  If Synaptic's not working on Wayland (either through XWayland or any other backwards compatible layer) then I can't use Wayland.
                  Synaptic doesn't work on Wayland, I think for two reasons.
                  It needs superuser privileges and Wayland is designed in such way that GUI applications can't work with superuser privileges.
                  Also, I think there might be one line in the code case that does an X11 call.
                  The synaptic package manager. Contribute to mvo5/synaptic development by creating an account on GitHub.

Please contribute to the project if you know C++.
                  The synaptic package manager. Contribute to mvo5/synaptic development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

By default, no, it does not.

I am able to use Synaptic in wayland by launching it with the following script that I've got saved in my path:

e.g. script saved as 'sugo'
                    Code:
                    #!/bin/sh
                    [ -n "$@" ] || exit 0
                    xhost si:localuser:root
                    sudo $@
                    xhost -si:localuser:root
                    And then just run
                    Code:
                    sugo synaptic

Comment

Working...