X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    When will Wayland developers work on the protocol for screen recording and screenshots? It's a major mess currently with no standard way of handling them, and compositors spreading into incompatible methods because of it.
    that really isn't necessary to be in Wayland. i mean, it could be, but it is not even remotely needed

DEs might as well just agree on common underlying screen recording compositor library and define how layout is passed, aka. layout format and how to pass surfaces with zero copy. at that point all that compositors would only need the visual part where you define which windows are recorded in which layout.

Leave a comment:

• AnassAhmed
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

When they get there, maybe they can even add some security protocol, like a permission model.
    It would be nice if a program must request permission granting from the user before being allowed to take screenshots or record the desktop, similar to how browsers nowadays aks for permission for webcam and mike access.
    This hould stop malware who steals user's sensitive data by taking screenshots.
    That's what XDG-Portals for. This work needs: Wayland, XDG-App (Flatpak now), and XDG-Portals, with a unified Compositor API.

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    This guy looks like a second account of Griffin...

Leave a comment:

• kon14
    replied
    I've yet to find a single Wayland or DE/WM-related thread where you've not shilled for Gnome Ghosty.

Where's the diversity in it these days? We used to have a lot of people bashing anything that doesn't come from Gnome and RH but now it's mostly you

Leave a comment:

• danielnez1
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

That doesn't change the fact that Canonical reverted to GNOME after the QT stint ended in another burning platform.
    You mean how they abandoned Smart phones and essentially their own development on Desktops because it wasn’t making enough money for them? So they have joined the rest of the commercial Linux vendors where the desktop is secondary to their other business. Of course that also doesn’t change the fact that GTK/GNOME is still a virtual nonentity to the rest of the computing world.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied

That doesn't change the fact that Canonical reverted to GNOME after the QT stint ended in another burning platform.
    So when has Canonical ever been known to make wise decisions? You make it sound like because Canonical chose Gnome, that means Gnome is the end all and be all. Sorry, but more or less -nothing- Canonical has ever done has succeeded.

Leave a comment:

• danielnez1
    replied
    Thanks for your opinion and anecdotal evidence. Too bad Canonical proved you wrong...
    That's a bit rich coming from you...

Leave a comment:

• danielnez1
    replied

I expect nothing from kde except the usual rants. And that is fine, I prefer to have the better developers define APIs and protocols. At least GNOME have a lot of experience from the API work on GTK. The kde developers struggle to build QT, so it is not like they have a lot to offer.
    You do love brown nosing RH and GNOME developers don't you? If you aren't getting any financial incentives for your trolling, then you really are wasting your life.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Made by GNOME.
    I feel a sense of "uppity-ness", almost like you think that's a good thing somehow. But the fact is Gnome lost more than 3/4's of their former maximum userbase. It's gone and they are never gonna get those kinds of numbers back. They shoulda stuck with a desktop style desktop. They coulda kept the numbers they had. Cinnamon, Mate, Pantheon, and Budgie simply would not have been.

EDIT: And lets be honest with ourselves here, forking a living project or worse starting a new one from scratch, is the worse possible thing that can happen.
    Last edited by duby229; 31 July 2017, 05:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    I believe that we should stop, set up a work table where ALL are invited to discuss problems over the way to Wayland. No one should be excluded, then make decisions that are compatible with everyone's needs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X