Wayland-Protocols 1.10 Adds XDG-Output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
    Thanks for your opinion and anecdotal evidence. Too bad Canonical proved you wrong...
    That's a bit rich coming from you...

Comment

That doesn't change the fact that Canonical reverted to GNOME after the QT stint ended in another burning platform.
      So when has Canonical ever been known to make wise decisions? You make it sound like because Canonical chose Gnome, that means Gnome is the end all and be all. Sorry, but more or less -nothing- Canonical has ever done has succeeded.

Comment

That doesn't change the fact that Canonical reverted to GNOME after the QT stint ended in another burning platform.
        You mean how they abandoned Smart phones and essentially their own development on Desktops because it wasn’t making enough money for them? So they have joined the rest of the commercial Linux vendors where the desktop is secondary to their other business. Of course that also doesn’t change the fact that GTK/GNOME is still a virtual nonentity to the rest of the computing world.

Comment

I've yet to find a single Wayland or DE/WM-related thread where you've not shilled for Gnome Ghosty.

Where's the diversity in it these days? We used to have a lot of people bashing anything that doesn't come from Gnome and RH but now it's mostly you

Comment

This guy looks like a second account of Griffin...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

When they get there, maybe they can even add some security protocol, like a permission model.
              It would be nice if a program must request permission granting from the user before being allowed to take screenshots or record the desktop, similar to how browsers nowadays aks for permission for webcam and mike access.
              This hould stop malware who steals user's sensitive data by taking screenshots.
              That's what XDG-Portals for. This work needs: Wayland, XDG-App (Flatpak now), and XDG-Portals, with a unified Compositor API.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                When will Wayland developers work on the protocol for screen recording and screenshots? It's a major mess currently with no standard way of handling them, and compositors spreading into incompatible methods because of it.
                that really isn't necessary to be in Wayland. i mean, it could be, but it is not even remotely needed

DEs might as well just agree on common underlying screen recording compositor library and define how layout is passed, aka. layout format and how to pass surfaces with zero copy. at that point all that compositors would only need the visual part where you define which windows are recorded in which layout.

Comment

Umm why do think it is any good to have compositor diversity if the developers are unwilling to do the hard work at API and protocol level?
                  First things first implementing a protocol doesn't necessarily mean you've designed it yourself or aided at all in its design. Where do you base all your assumptions regarding Gnome being the only contributor to Wayland? Just cause KDE took a while to get the ball rolling on Plasma doesn't mean nobody else is working on Wayland support or that Gnome is in any way the only contributor to Wayland as a protocol. You should also realize how a lot of "Gnome" stuff actually comes out of Fedora and RH, much like how Wayland came to be in the first place.

Regarding compositor diversity and implementation diversity in general, it's something that's always good to have to some extent since it allows you to debug your own approach and realize whether a problem resides in drivers/compositors/apps/etc depending on what sort of software we're talking about. You should also try and this through that thick skull of yours: Not everyone likes Gnome. It's simple as that. Even if Gnome where to be the only project working on Wayland, daily reminder for you: it's not, and then after years people came along and used their work for their own compositors that would still be fine and acceptable. Isn't this how foss works? Isn't this what happened to Gtk and Gimp?

It's also funny how you keep blaming people for not integrating Mutter and standardizing Gnome stuff when Gnome devs themselves are rejecting every patch and suggestion coming from outsiders. How do you expect anyone to integrate their stuff and deduplicate effort if Gnome won't ever accept anything upstream? Do you seriously believe this has anything to do with code quality? I'm sure people would be more willing to work with them if they ever wanted to work with anyone but themselves.

I'm sad for all of you Gnome fanboys trying to force your desktop on everyone by devalueing other projects just cause people abandoned Gnome for constantly not giving a hot damn about their users opinions in regards to their decisions. I'm sure lots of Gnome devs are better than this and I'm sorry if I have spoken ill of them, but there's a great deal to say about users like you and this muddies the waters as to who is it that's actually guiding and supporting this hatred towards everybody.

(It seems like I can't even add attachments. Here's one for you)

Comment

You are more than welcome to prove your point. Show which significant parts of Wayland have been designed by other DEs than GNOME.
                    Aside from my points not being all about the Wayland protocol or even Wayland in general, was that not precisely my exact question to you in the very post you quoted just now? Except you never answered that or my other questions.

To the best of my knowledge, Kristian Høgsberg has been the main individual contributor, in terms of commits, and founder of Wayland, with RedHat hiring Wayland devs for Fedora and therefore also supporting the Gnome desktop.

Can you link me to specific evidence that shows Gnome is in any way contributing significantly more than others? Being one of the first to implement Wayland means nothing by itself. Since I'm not the one to devalue Gnome regarding Wayland support specifically, you seem to reject others' attempts and I asked you this very question before I believe it's pretty sane to expect that you answer this question.

Comment

Made by RH/GNOME.
                      Server-side decorations protocol by KDE. Accepted by sway. Rejected by Gnome. Prefect proof of kon14's point about Gnome devs living in their own bubble and rejecting everything that comes from outside.

Comment

Working...
                      X