Sway 0.14 Supports KDE Server Decorations Protocol, Mouse Button Bindings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Also, a number of non-Gnome GTK applications have already switched or intend to switch from GTK to Qt. That is the result of your "chuckling" - loss of support for you and/or people sticking with X.
    There are traditional GTK3 desktop apps as well. The whole of Mate and Cinnamon basically (And semi-unnecessary forks by Mint of pluma, atril, totem, eye of mate etc. to make them more desktop-independent i.e. used in Mate, Cinnamon or XFCE. Those are forks of forks of Gnome 2 apps)
    Well, Cinnamon might have some Gnome 3 tools ; my Mate desktop has gnome-disks which is a Gnome 3 CSD application.

Other examples of GTK3 applications with traditional GUI are Audacious and Deadbeef audio players (the latter allows choice between GTK3 and GTK2. I believe it defaults to GTK2...)
    For some applications, I have to go and check from the command line (e.g. look at dependencies) to know if they run gtk2 or gtk3, since this isn't very obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

This is why I chuckle. Why would anyone want to remove decorations or any other defined capability that the app rely on? And why should all these self-inflicted problems be dealt with in the multiple levels and protocols?

This is just wrong, wrong, wrong. You can't enforce consistency by handicapping the apps on some systems but not others. In the end the users won't get consistency across different WMs/Compositors and the apps need to deal with more variables. Everybody loses.

GTK lets the app decorate, GNOME's HIG keeps the consistency. Done.

Pure CSD and mixed SSD/CSD can't really coexist and the warnings have been served. Fix your software and your flawed logic or deal with your own self-inflicted problems.
      decoration have nothing to do with app capability, decoration are what it mean… decoration, something that is optional like flower in the garden, it's beautiful but not necessary.

Gnome HIG is great when using gnome, but unnecessary if you don't use it.

Comment

Why would anyone want to remove decorations or any other defined capability that the app rely on?
        Because I took the freedom you speak of and got myself to use a tiling WM, where decorations are totally unnecessary. Of course, since I don't use Gnome you now will try to somehow come up with a reason why that freedom you speak of doesn't apply to me.
        Also, you have to look up the definition of 'decoration'. Decoration, by definition, is just there to change the look of something, it is neither a function nor a capability.

Comment

No quip regarding what I wrote about mpv, GhostOfFunkS? I must say I'm disappointed...

Comment

Well, they decided to stay in past. So there is really no reason to waste time on software that conflicts with Linux, systemd, Wayland, Flatpak and portals.
            Ok, that didn't disappoint. Thanks for the laugh. it brightened up my early morning a little, before I leave for work.

Comment

I'm not clear if this is a library that has been integrated into the sway codebase, or if I have to install another package. If I have to install another one, which package?

Comment

bearcatsandor : https://github.com/SirCmpwn/sway/releases/tag/0.14.0
                and https://github.com/SirCmpwn/sway/pull/1234

Comment

I find the pig-headed arguing here sometimes hilarious. "I know I am right, and you are all wrong" attitude is just unbelievable sometimes. I know the stereotype of nerds is no social skills, but quit trying to make up for it anonymously on a forum by trying so sound like you know it all. I too have started getting into tiling window managers, and have installed Sway in a test install and found the Gnome/GTK+ CSD decorated apps to take up screen real estate where I assume SSD in this case would have made them fit better. I'm not an expert on how CSD and SSD are supposed to work, but I sense there are different cases where each has it's role. And I agree, the need to install an out of mainline patch just to make things work as intended seems ridiculous. Is the KDE "handshake" protocol the best way to do this, I have no idea. But I assume there is a need for something like this. And if there is a better way, let's sort it out. At least it looks like the code the main Sway dev put together has just gotten a review (and he immediately put together an update based on feedback - now that is what working well together looks like!):

Comment

AppTeF Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X