NVIDIA Makes It Easier On Fedora To Try GNOME With EGLStreams On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

The hard truth is also that to this day X lets you do things and Wayland doesn't.

So while I appreciate the fresh, open approach, I do not understand the apparent urgency to migrate just yet.
    Yeah, I'm more and more of a skeptic regarding Wayland.
    X doesn't really stand in my way any more and at this point I think the transition to Wayland is more interesting for developers than for users.

Regarding the "portals", if Wayland means I have to use that crappy DE that is Gnome, than I'd rather stay on X.

Comment

We could expeculate that the illuminati are pushing for the unification of desktop environments on linux world, Gnome been the chosen one for world domination. LOL </sarcasm> But who knows if something about this holds true :P </moresarcasm?>

Comment

Anybody knows, if this works painless and easy with mux-less Optimus notebooks (or at all)?
        So far, my experience with my Thinkpad (Haswell + NV 730GT) is
        utter crap when it comes to the NVidia GPU (under Linux).

Yeah, my bad.
        Will stay (far) away from such configurations in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Does this mean X apps will never work with OGL in a Wayland EGLStream session?
          My understanding is that X apps don't work at all on a Wayland session with the Nvidia driver. Anyone else can confirm/refute this?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

My understanding is that X apps don't work at all on a Wayland session with the Nvidia driver. Anyone else can confirm/refute this?
            It can, but only through software GL driver for XWayland, its hellishly slow. See https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53284

Comment

Frankly I don't understand all this FUSS about Wayland.

About a year ago, I re-installed fedora on my mom's notebook with intel GPU. Came with Wayland by default. Had 0 problems, smooth as silk.

That's it.

Now, I'd like to use Wayland on my desktop, but unfortunately nVidiar.... So instead of waiting for a halfass patchy solution, I'll just buy an ATI GPU.

Problem solutioned. Wayland achieved.

If you need screencapture or some exotic resolution, just wait a little longer. Maybe give a hand to the developdevelopment.
              AND understand that developing a full-set of protocols that define a desktop environment that needs to be modular and flexible enough for a big number of well established DEs/WMs is NOT EASY and not quick. You better take it slowly enough to avoid another 30 years of pain.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Anybody knows, if this works painless and easy with mux-less Optimus notebooks (or at all)?
                So far, my experience with my Thinkpad (Haswell + NV 730GT) is
                utter crap when it comes to the NVidia GPU (under Linux).

Yeah, my bad.
                Will stay (far) away from such configurations in the future.
                I had a similar configuration, and the only thing I did see was bugs and crashes. I really don't want a Nvidia GPU in any of my systems. Instead of providing a real solution now they give Gnome users this half baked thing. Not to mention that Wayland with any other Desktop will still not work!

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                  Wayland after all these years is struggling with things like... accessing the hardware, picking up a colour from the screen, taking a snapshot...
                  wayland has better access to hardware than x11. and ability to pick a colour from the screen or take snapshot was in the first place an x11 bug, which wayland was designed to fix
                  Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                  WTF!!!!
                  welcome to reality

Comment

smoke and mirrors instead of releasing docs and developing mesa driver

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      I'm not sure I follow.
                      that is not surprising

Comment

Working...
                      X