NVIDIA Makes It Easier On Fedora To Try GNOME With EGLStreams On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
    that depends on the new protocols. I agree with you that incompetent developers might be able to f.ck up the security model if allowed. kde took the first steps down this road when they decided to keep SSD.
    It doesn't in the least. As I have said, if the problem you're trying to solve has a dozen parameters, a clean protocol that allows only two will not solve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
      Frankly I don't understand all this FUSS about Wayland.

About a year ago, I re-installed fedora on my mom's notebook with intel GPU. Came with Wayland by default. Had 0 problems, smooth as silk.

That's it.

Now, I'd like to use Wayland on my desktop, but unfortunately nVidiar.... So instead of waiting for a halfass patchy solution, I'll just buy an ATI GPU.

Problem solutioned. Wayland achieved.

If you need screencapture or some exotic resolution, just wait a little longer. Maybe give a hand to the developdevelopment.
      AND understand that developing a full-set of protocols that define a desktop environment that needs to be modular and flexible enough for a big number of well established DEs/WMs is NOT EASY and not quick. You better take it slowly enough to avoid another 30 years of pain.
      I don't doubt your experience in any way. Only you're running Gnome 3 on Intel graphics and on the distro that employs Gnome 3 developers at that.
      For those who run Ubuntu LTS we have to wait almost a year. For those with no Intel graphics Intel doesn't sell graphics cards - AMD does sell graphics cards, but doesn't sell low end either. Radeon RX 550 is pretty expensive for that job. For those who don't run Gnome 3 we have to hope something is ready by 2019 or soon enough to be included in Ubuntu 20.04. Some of us will be playing Russian roulette in Vietnam on the day useful Wayland gets released.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        I take it Nvidia not supporting XWayland pretty much means no Steam games will work with 3D hardware acceleration on a GNOME Wayland session, when using the proprietary Nvidia driver. Furthermore Gnome Wayland is currently busted on Archlinux and runs horrible due to a suspected issue with Mesa's libglvnd. Frankly, X11 isn't going anywhere anytime soon with the current state of Wayland.
        Even afterwards, you need a few years to fix and eliminate all possible compositor crashes to prevent session loss (on X11, the compositor simply restarts with no loss). Then you have to fix all issues where people may currently have to manually alf-f2 -> r on Gnome or restart kwin on KDE, etc...
        We are talking at least another 5 to 7 years before a Wayland session is as stable as a current X11 session.

Comment

I wouldn't say half-assed but yes, X11 sessions are more fault tolerant since the window manager can be restarted unless Xorg process or mydesktop-session crash. With wayland, not only do you have to bullet proof the compositor but you have to eliminate reasons why people may want to restart kwin or gnome-shell. And under NVIDIA...., you occasionally really need to do so.

With some NVIDIA/x11 related maintenance, Gnome is very stable at the moment on Xorg. I just have to alt-f2 -> r once a day to free memory but I can live with that. However, that's not something I can do under wayland. So memory usage needs to be made more static.
          Last edited by Guest; 27 July 2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Deduplication is much needed.
            It's not that hot today, so I'm in the mood for flaming...

What exactly do you mean by "deduplication". Is it "the only compositor that should exist is mutter"?

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

I don't doubt your experience in any way. Only you're running Gnome 3 on Intel graphics and on the distro that employs Gnome 3 developers at that.
              For those who run Ubuntu LTS we have to wait almost a year. For those with no Intel graphics Intel doesn't sell graphics cards - AMD does sell graphics cards, but doesn't sell low end either. Radeon RX 550 is pretty expensive for that job. For those who don't run Gnome 3 we have to hope something is ready by 2019 or soon enough to be included in Ubuntu 20.04. Some of us will be playing Russian roulette in Vietnam on the day useful Wayland gets released.
              I also run Arch on my main desktop and Wayland would run just fine (if i did't have an nVidtard GPU).
              Soo... yes... get NON-DUMB distro i say, before bashing on wayland for somenthing that's not their fault.

And who the hell does not have an Intel GPU in their CPU nowadays?

Comment

So, I have to buy all new hardware while RAM is expensive to please a few random people on a web forum?

I suppose when there's a leaky faucet you buy the whole building, evict all the other tenants, tear it down to the ground and erect a new one, because it was 100-year-old and it's time for something modern.

Comment

More like give up on the worst implementations.
                  Well, perhaps GNOME should give up on their toolkit who's current major version only recently reached API stability, and that has virtually nil value outside the micro-bubble of the Linux desktop? Swings and roundabouts mate.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't consider that a bad thing, I consider the lack of a screen shot utility a bad thing. I "shoot" my screen all the time (for bugs and what not) and somehow nobody exploited that till now. But since Wayland started, that seems to be such a big problem now, that the functionality cannot be provided any longer. That's just... wrong.
                    1) It has been exploited (even if there aren't many malware targeting linux desktop users, there still has been a screen grabber. One at least got some attention in 2016).
                    2) I can make screenshots in gnome, and it's also possible in weston. I think it works since 2015 or something.
                    All in all, if there is one thing wrong around here, it seems to be you.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                      1) It has been exploited (even if there aren't many malware targeting linux desktop users, there still has been a screen grabber. One at least got some attention in 2016).
                      2) I can make screenshots in gnome, and it's also possible in weston. I think it works since 2015 or something.
                      All in all, if there is one thing wrong around here, it seems to be you.
                      Really, after 30 years you can think of one exploit? Sure gotta get off this train asap.

Comment

Working...
                      X