Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Makes It Easier On Fedora To Try GNOME With EGLStreams On Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Makes It Easier On Fedora To Try GNOME With EGLStreams On Wayland

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Makes It Easier On Fedora To Try GNOME With EGLStreams On Wayland

    With Fedora not yet officially supporting the EGLStreams code-path for GNOME Mutter on Wayland, NVIDIA has created their own third-party Copr repository with said support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...GLStreams-Mutt

  • #2
    Is there any new on the new allocation API Nvidia worked on? The github repo seems dead...

    Comment


    • #3
      Will the EGLStream patches for Weston get mainlined at some point? If yes, I wouldn't expect anything else to come.
      (Well, Nvidia would probably do what they want anyway.)

      Comment


      • #4
        The whole Wayland thing is just bizarre purely from an user perspective.

        X.org is old and crusty, yet it keeps getting better and better.

        Wayland after all these years is struggling with things like... accessing the hardware, picking up a colour from the screen, taking a snapshot... making things run at an acceptable speed (3D), copy and paste, drag and drop...

        Wayland was supposed to end many problems... yet there is still not a single desktop environment feature-complete, and GNOME running on Wayland means that either people use GNOME components (designed with just GNOME in mind) or they have to re-implement the wheel, the screws and the person driving the contraption.

        And let's not talk about application support.

        WTF!!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Good news.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
            The whole Wayland thing is just bizarre purely from an user perspective.

            X.org is old and crusty, yet it keeps getting better and better.

            Wayland after all these years is struggling with things like... accessing the hardware, picking up a colour from the screen, taking a snapshot... making things run at an acceptable speed (3D), copy and paste, drag and drop...

            Wayland was supposed to end many problems... yet there is still not a single desktop environment feature-complete, and GNOME running on Wayland means that either people use GNOME components (designed with just GNOME in mind) or they have to re-implement the wheel, the screws and the person driving the contraption.

            And let's not talk about application support.

            WTF!!!!
            the problem runs deeper at kernel level. the drivers are huge and complex and should not even exist in kernel space. Besides the very basic graphics to get a functioning TTY and booting screen ofcourse. But there is no stable kernel api for it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

              the problem runs deeper at kernel level. the drivers are huge and complex and should not even exist in kernel space. Besides the very basic graphics to get a functioning TTY and booting screen ofcourse. But there is no stable kernel api for it.
              Then why isn't the problem addressed at kernel level? Because anything else would be just lipstick on a pig, right?
              But I doubt issues with taking a screenshot stem from the driver lying in the kernel space.

              Comment


              • #8
                At least they lately added some randr stuff into Mutter. When I tried Gnome Wayland on Nvidia and Intel, it simply ignored my edid override. Sucks quite a lot when you want to have custom resolutions or refreshrates.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bug77 View Post

                  Then why isn't the problem addressed at kernel level? Because anything else would be just lipstick on a pig, right?
                  But I doubt issues with taking a screenshot stem from the driver lying in the kernel space.
                  No, but the graphics stack on linux based OSes are a mess. The monolithic approach doesnt work here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

                    Then why isn't the problem addressed at kernel level? Because anything else would be just lipstick on a pig, right?
                    But I doubt issues with taking a screenshot stem from the driver lying in the kernel space.
                    It is not a kernel problem.

                    A simple thing like taking a screenshot has been identified as a security problem.

                    If one app can take a screenshot, why can't another malicious one do the same? (This is a real problem. An Activist's computer was found out to be taking screen shots and uploading them to an intelligence agency's servers that was spying on him).
                    If one app can see all the keys pressed, another malicious once can do the same and record all key presses under the x server. (No passwords will be secure if the key strokes are read.)
                    If one app can control the video card, another malicious one can do the same... (DDOS, or read another used graphics data)
                    If one app can manipulate a file, what is preventing another from doing the same...
                    Add a thousand more security questions which are not even considered in the world of Xserver etc.

                    These are hard problems that are more serious now with current hardware than they were with older hardware in a time when such a thing would be impractical across the internet.

                    Now with Wayland the developers had a choice - either implement a "workaround" so things worked the old way that would then stay around forever keeping the same insecurity, or implement a safe interface to allow the action to be carried out securely.

                    The concept of portals has been introduced to do thing securely, with the idea that the UI can be done natively by each desktop environment. Gnome is ahead of the curve in implementing these. Others will catch up or can use the Gnome technologies for now, until they have implemented the same interfaces.

                    This is not Gnome trying to embrace everything, but simply having more manower. These portals etc have been agreed upon between various desktops and it is a matter of time until they are implemented (and expanded to add other use cases).

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X