No announcement yet.

The Regressed State Of KDE Plasma On Wayland, But Things Should Get Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even on X11 Plasma is in a regressed state. at login it locks up and i have to wait an hour before panels show up or programs launch correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by cipri View Post
      I have stressed already so many times, that in my opinion one should remove the QT dependency.
      Sounds like a great idea. Are you gonna rewrite Qt to Rust, right after you figure out how to do Rust/C++ interop, which is still on a -maybe- TODO list for the Rust team? Or are you just gonna go bold and deliver on a Rust-based GUI middleware library? Got a few years to spare, no family and someone to pay your day to day bills ? Awesome - do it!

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post

Sounds like a great idea. Are you gonna rewrite Qt to Rust, right after you figure out how to do Rust/C++ interop, which is still on a -maybe- TODO list for the Rust team? Or are you just gonna go bold and deliver on a Rust-based GUI middleware library? Got a few years to spare, no family and someone to pay your day to day bills ? Awesome - do it!
        No. I'm in the process of writing my own Tool-Kit. Everything based on Vulkan and Wayland. I start barely with the Wayland Protocol. Initially I started with libwayland-client, which is a ugly c-library. And to build on top of that a nice library with a c++17 API. But I noticed I had to write a ugly code to hide the sh*t of libwayland-client. This was an option, but later when you want to port everything to android/windows/haiku/FuchsiaOS etc... you have to port the sh*tty c-library anyway.... So with modest effort I have my own c++ wayland-client library with c++17 API.
        Why did wayland such a long time to develop?? Because of the many bad open-source developers, which many of them don't like or even hate c++. Check on the official wayland page, the last documentation is wayland 1.3, while the current wayland version is 1.9 . Not to mention obsolete documentation which is not in sync with the implementations..

After I'm happy with my c++17 GUI Framework I will start writing my own Wayland composer, again with at least c++17 and based only on the Wayland Protocol.
        Why also writing also the wayland composer/server ? Because if it's written nicely in c++, porting it is a lot easier.
        And when I'm happy with the composer, I will extend it, such that the clients can draw directly with vulkan, without having to use egl.
        Like this I will be restricted to Vulkan, but anyway all my devices are working fine with vulkan, and anyway vulkan is the future (already android is supporting vulkan out of the box, i think starting with version android 7 )
        And after I have done this, and Gnome or KDE continue making me angry, I will take Debian, and write my own Desktop.
        This seems like a lot of work, not?? NO!! It's not! It's a lot of work if you build on top of ship, and you work hard to work around bugs and bad design!
        Kurt Skauen built AtheOS from scratch, everything done by himself in about 5 years. But he wrote also the Kernel, the drivers, everything.... and all this in his free time.
        Compared to that, starting with Debian, having all the drivers already working is not such a big deal.

Comment

Working...
        X