No announcement yet.

The Regressed State Of KDE Plasma On Wayland, But Things Should Get Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember I was on ubuntu 10.04 when it was rumored that ubuntu 10.10 would have default wayland. We're in 2017 and apart from Fedora nobody uses wayland! Then Ubuntu talks about Mir and suddenly wayland becomes indispensable. Something will not come back and anyway, years will pass before the wayland will be used by many distributions, if this happens!

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

you talk so because don't know the benefits of wayland if implemented in every single elements of the operating system utilities and so on. The fanboy doesn't accept the progression if not understand it.
      Wayland is progression, but Gnome isn't. At least, not in the current state with huge memory leaks, performance problems and the lack of common sense in few places.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
        I remember I was on ubuntu 10.04 when it was rumored that ubuntu 10.10 would have default wayland. We're in 2017 and apart from Fedora nobody uses wayland! Then Ubuntu talks about Mir and suddenly wayland becomes indispensable. Something will not come back and anyway, years will pass before the wayland will be used by many distributions, if this happens!
        I say Carstairs, by jove it's one of those horseless carriage contraptions. They'll never catch on, can't beat a good strong horse you know.

Comment

Say what you want, but things like this happen all the time in software development. You use a library, library changes, you get screwed.
          The upside is programs can usually simply ship the version of the library they know it's in working shape, whereas KDE is expected to work with whatever Qt version a distro maintainer approves.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
            I remember I was on ubuntu 10.04 when it was rumored that ubuntu 10.10 would have default wayland. We're in 2017 and apart from Fedora nobody uses wayland!
            I don't track all the distros, but Wayland is working great on openSUSE Tumbleweed with Gnome desktop. And I'm almost certain it was available with Gnome on Arch last time I used it.

Comment

I don't even get that far with plasma, since around qt 5.9 it segfaults somewhere in qt's opengl support.
              Code:
              #0 0x00007f7df8c1a5eb in QThreadStorageData::get() const () from /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
              #1 0x00007f7df939604a in QOpenGLContext::currentContext() () from /usr/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5
              #2 0x00007f7df9684a6b in QOpenGLFramebufferObject::bindDefault() () from /usr/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5
              #3 0x00007f7dfa49c6c1 in QSGRenderer::renderScene(QSGBindable const&) () from /usr/lib/libQt5Quick.so.5
              #4 0x00007f7dfa49cbab in QSGRenderer::renderScene(unsigned int) () from /usr/lib/libQt5Quick.so.5
              #5 0x00007f7dfa4d6f50 in QSGDefaultRenderContext::renderNextFrame(QSGRenderer*, unsigned int) () from /usr/lib/libQt5Quick.so.5
              #6 0x00007f7dfa533948 in QQuickWindowPrivate::renderSceneGraph(QSize const&) () from /usr/lib/libQt5Quick.so.5
              #7 0x00007f7dfa4dfffc in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQt5Quick.so.5
              #8 0x00007f7dfa4e4f08 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQt5Quick.so.5
              #9 0x00007f7df8c1c37d in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
              #10 0x00007f7df566d297 in start_thread () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0
              #11 0x00007f7df852f1ef in clone () from /usr/lib/libc.so.6
              People should not complain about kde here so much, the biggest problem is clearly Qt's wayland support.

Comment

Who doesn't accept the progression if not understand it.
                What kind of progression are you talking about? He uses KDE with X11, which seems to work for him pretty well. Except for Gnome, all the other DEs use X11, too. You aren't automatically a "fanboy" just because you use X11.

Comment

I think the most interesting question here is why Qt apparently decided to violate the promise of interface stability (things working like documented), which is presumably the reason the KDE Wayland experience has regressed?

If you can't depend on the foundation on which you build your house, your house won't stay standing for long. This is, I believe, what Martin's post was *really* about: How to ensure that KDE doesn't get screwed over by Qt changing an important (and guaranteed stable?) implementation detail in the future.

Martin was being polite about it, but my impression is that he's actually quite pissed with Qt on this particular point. And even so, he *still* tried to remain constructive and took great pains to point out that if Qt could be arsed to use KDE's extensive, free and open source testing suite, issuess like these would be caught a lot earlier.

So how about it Qt?

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post

What kind of progression are you talking about? He uses KDE with X11, which seems to work for him pretty well. Except for Gnome, all the other DEs use X11, too. You aren't automatically a "fanboy" just because you use X11.
                    Wayland is much more efficient than x11. One only distro uses it because the other distros are not ready for wayland.

Comment

Wayland is much more efficient than x11. One only distro uses it because the other distros are not ready for wayland.
                      In what ways? I'm not saying it isn't, but most of your posts reek of inexperience and repetition of comments from other people that you really don't understand on your own. And then you have the gall to call others a fanboy! Maybe try not talking so much about things you have no knowledge of, and try not to speak in broken English while you're at it.

Comment

Working...
                      X