The Regressed State Of KDE Plasma On Wayland, But Things Should Get Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Regressed State Of KDE Plasma On Wayland, But Things Should Get Better

Phoronix: The Regressed State Of KDE Plasma On Wayland, But Things Should Get Better

KWin maintainer Martin Gräßlin has written a blog post explaining the issues they've run into with KDE Plasma on Wayland and how changes to Qt have set them back months in their Wayland session support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What would anyone expect from KDE different from this?

Comment

It was clear that KDe has problem to implement wayland. Too long time has passed since the operation started. Kde has been overcame by GNOME/Fedora and next time from Ubuntu/GNOME (that would explain the reason why Ubuntu prefers gnome to KDe). Probably KDe structure has some kind of compatibility issue the developers are not able to fix and as far as me they won't be able to fix ever. I'll wait for the next releases then I'll change to GNOME/Ubuntu.
      Last edited by Azrael5; 15 July 2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
        What would anyone expect from KDE different from this?
        performance and reliability gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          It was clear that KDe has problem to implement wayland. Too long time has passed since the operation started. Kde has been overcame by GNOME/Fedora and next time from Ubuntu/GNOME (that would explain the reason why Ubuntu prefers gnome to KDe). Probably KDe structure has some kind of compatibility issue the developers are not able to fix and as far as me they won't be able to fix ever. I'll wait for the next releases then I'll change to GNOME/Ubuntu.
          Good. That's what works for you.

I'd sooner stay on X11 than use GNOME... and that's also fine.

Comment

Right now Im on wayland kde on latest Qt and plasma, and it works great most of the time. But there are some bugs left that hopefully will be fixed on Qt 5.10 at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Good. That's what works for you.

I'd sooner stay on X11 than use GNOME... and that's also fine.
              you talk so because don't know the benefits of wayland if implemented in every single elements of the operating system utilities and so on. The fanboy doesn't accept the progression if not understands it.
              Last edited by Azrael5; 15 July 2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

The only thing I need to switch to Plasma on Wayland is modesetting.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

you talk so because don't know the benefits of wayland if implemented in every single elements of the operating system utilities and so on. The fanboy doesn't accept the progression if not understand it.
                  I wonder who is actually the fanboy here...

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post

I wonder who is actually the fanboy here...
                    Who doesn't accept the progression if not understands it.
                    Last edited by Azrael5; 15 July 2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X