Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XDG-Output Protocol Proposed For Wayland

Phoronix: XDG-Output Protocol Proposed For Wayland

Olivier Fourdan of Red Hat is proposing a new protocol extension for Wayland, XDG-Output...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this will help Gnome to connect to different monitors. Right now is a hell triying to connect to the TV with a good resolution and audio, or at the same tame with the pc monitor

Comment

Will this help to allow for universal screen or window recording on Wayland, regardless of DE? There's still no equivalent in Wayland for things like SSR or OBS on X.

Comment

Originally posted by hourwatch View Post
        I hope this will help Gnome to connect to different monitors. Right now is a hell triying to connect to the TV with a good resolution and audio, or at the same tame with the pc monitor
        I'm curious what your setup is. I've been using Gnome for a couple years because this works flawlessly for me, even on Wayland for the most part.

Comment

Geopirate I have Gnome installed in Arch. I have a monitor connected through DVI and a TV connected through HDMI both to my computer. I can't make both to appear at the same time in the screen because the resolution is different and I can't make it to show the correct resolution for each one at the same time. On the other hand, if I change from each other, it doesn't remember the resolution of the other so I have to configurate itevery time.

I use autorandr + Display Switcher extension + Sound Input & Output Device Chooser to manage it. Something like Display Switcher should come by default in Gnome and with the ability to change the sound to the one in the tv too.

Comment

Originally posted by hourwatch View Post
            Geopirate I have Gnome installed in Arch. I have a monitor connected through DVI and a TV connected through HDMI both to my computer. I can't make both to appear at the same time in the screen because the resolution is different and I can't make it to show the correct resolution for each one at the same time. On the other hand, if I change from each other, it doesn't remember the resolution of the other so I have to configurate itevery time.

I use autorandr + Display Switcher extension + Sound Input & Output Device Chooser to manage it. Something like Display Switcher should come by default in Gnome and with the ability to change the sound to the one in the tv too.
            These are functions that are built into Gnome, as part of the default GUI from the settings dialog without any extensions. I don't use Arch, but it's the same across Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora. I have a system using HDMI/DVI as well as HDMI/DP and HDMI/VGA.

Again a lot of the reason I use Gnome is because a lot of this stuff that was a pain like you described are a lot easier now than they were previously, especially for non-technical users.

Comment

Working...
            X