Wayland 1.14 & Weston 3.0 Planned For Release Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    X does run in raspberry pi and similar low end devices so there no any technical reasons to use wayland. Security problems are solved with 4G networks and firewalls.
    X11 runs poorly on said devices, Weston's Raspberry Pi specific compositor runs a heck of a lot better than X11 on the same hardware.
    I don't even know how to answer your statement about security, except to say that people in glass houses oughtn't launch a rocket launcher so full of burning stupidity that the whole thing could just as soon melt before it shatters.

Comment

Since when computer code has been art...

No, it is not, gaming does have problems with wayland too. There are very few native wayland apps and there is no sense to use X to wayland wrappers when you can use a fully working X system.
      If (but that's a big if) the game crashes the X Wayland wrapper and only that ; and if in a favorable case, the game gets an X Wayland instance all for itself, then I could see the wrapper to be a good thing.
      Though, you might get an unrecoverable GPU crash anyway. If only the wrapper freezes, will this leave you in a state where all your inputs are swallowed by it anyway leaving you with an unusable system?, or is the input system used with Wayland smart enough to allow you to recover?

For that matter, will Wayland allow you to recover from a GPU crash or GPU driver crash, or switch driver on the fly (if linux builds up support) like Windows Vista/7 and up do?

I'm just asking a couple honest questions please don't flame me.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

I'm guessing your post is actually a subtly crafted troll ...
        Please do not assume that someone is troll just because... I'm definitely not a troll. If you see my last sentence then I practically beg to be wrong on most of these so that I can be reassured that Wayland is the way to the future...

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

There is absolutely no reason to add more extensions to invalidate all your points assuming they don't exist yet. This can even include something like X11 forwarding replacement.
        Does that mean that applications like wmctrl and xdotool can be implemented too? I use wmctl a lot. For example, viber is minimized when you close it, but it doesn't have an option to be minimized on startup, so I use a script with wmctrl for that. I also use wmctrl to a script in order to start multiple GUI applications which show various information, and put them in a specific workspace and specific sizes at the edges or corners of the screen. I login with multiple DE so I need these scripts to work on all DE (I believe kwin can be used for some of these if you are KDE user). I believe xdotool can do even more complex tasks, but I haven't really experiment with it. I guess that many companies and enterprises will need to achieve similar tasks, so are these possible on Wayland, if not will they be possible in the future?

Comment

Since when computer code has been art...
          If you don't consider your code art, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Pretty much every SDL2 game works natively on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
              Does that mean that applications like wmctrl and xdotool can be implemented too? I use wmctl a lot. For example, viber is minimized when you close it, but it doesn't have an option to be minimized on startup, so I use a script with wmctrl for that. I also use wmctrl to a script in order to start multiple GUI applications which show various information, and put them in a specific workspace and specific sizes at the edges or corners of the screen. I login with multiple DE so I need these scripts to work on all DE (I believe kwin can be used for some of these if you are KDE user). I believe xdotool can do even more complex tasks, but I haven't really experiment with it. I guess that many companies and enterprises will need to achieve similar tasks, so are these possible on Wayland, if not will they be possible in the future?

There is absolutely no technical reason which would prevent that from happening. The compositors must support it obviously and maybe the hobby compositor of John Doe won't be able to do it. The point is, it's an addition outside of libwayland using the wayland communication and interface infrastructure. But as soon as an protocol exists and every big compositor implements this extension wl-wmctrl will work everywhere.

Look, another protocol implemented using wl_interface let's you retrieve window information: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...and-XDG-Output

@debianxface: You sound a little bit obsessed by an idea. . . an idea where Wayland is the evil itself. How comes? Since you don't have a point I can only assume that you have spent time developing X?
              Last edited by Kemosabe; 05 July 2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I have an idea. Let's extend or fork X.org so that it supports Wayland clients ; then everything will work. Problem solved

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                  I have an idea. Let's extend or fork X.org so that it supports Wayland clients ; then everything will work. Problem solved
                  KDE has already done that for testing purposes.

But doing that is the worst of both worlds. You get all the problems and limitations of X11 without the backwards-compatibility benefit for applications and toolkits.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    @debianxface: You sound a little bit obsessed by an idea. . . an idea where Wayland is the evil itself. How comes? Since you don't have a point I can only assume that you have spent time developing X?
                    XFCE doesn't support it yet, so by definition it must be evil incarnate.
                    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 06 July 2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X