X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by nll_a
    I really fail to see what's so terrible about forbiding sudo for Kate and Dolphin. If you are modifying system files, you are not a regular user and thus know your way around the command line. We will always have sudo vim and sudo mv. No big deal at all.
    sudoedit

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by funkybomber View Post

Despite the fact that KDE Neon is an awesome project, I would hesitate to promote it as a distribution to users because the team behind it mostly focuses on showcasing the best and latest in KDE technology. When it comes to the end user experience though, they obviously lack a focus on that (as they should, it's just not what they are about). The Neon project also explicitly states that "KDE Neon is not a distribution" and I take them on their word.

Let me elaborate with a case in point. In the latest versions of the KDE Applications, programs such as Kate and Dolphin have been patched to not be permitted to run under "sudo". Now, for the KDE Neon as a project this is not a problem, but from a usability perspective this is a no-no.
    A proper KDE distribution (let's say Kubuntu, Mint or Maui) is never going to allow such an obviously problematic patch to be included in their distribution (hopefully). You can't just break people's workflows like that just because some developer(s) decided that "it is not safe(?) to allow programs run under sudo".

For a proper Linux distribution the perceived cost of breaking workflows (ie having angry users flooding your forums) is much higher than the cost of "not keeping up 100% with best 'safety' practices".
    It's a "pick your poison" situation, and to me the choice is clear: If you care for your workflows, you stick with a proper distribution. KDE Neon is just a nice preview of the things "to come" when they eventually become properly implemented under a distribution that cares for the end user experience.
    Right. How dare they break the "who the hell changed permission for file X to make my program fail silently" routine?
    Imho, Neon is still Ubuntu just with a very recent KDE on top. It fits wherever Ubuntu fits.

Leave a comment:

• Serafean
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    Though I guess someone ought to write a sudofs kio slave to make unnecessary for editors.
    I think I read somewhere that something like this is in the works... Very big think though.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
    I know people love any reason to sink the boots into GNOME, but no, it falls back automatically to Xorg.
    What if nothing crashes but screen stays black or garbled? because that's what I got on other people's PCs that were using Fedora.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
    P.S. Please don't take my last post too harshly :-)
    I didn't I just wanted to point out there are good reason to block applications from running under sudo. Though I guess someone ought to write a sudofs kio slave to make unnecessary for editors.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
    I know people love any reason to sink the boots into GNOME, but no, it falls back automatically to Xorg.
    Yeah, and what if the compositor runs fine but screen stays black or shows artifacts or whatever? Because I've seen that enough times on GNOME Wayland to be pretty sure they don't have ways to detect that.

And it would be easy, like it is done on windows when you change screen resolution. Show a popup asking for user input, and if the user does not confirm that all is OK the system reverts the change after like 20 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    I notice that in the latest Plasma 5 versions if you have to modify a system file, you can change it without being root, and then save the change to ask for the password.

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    P.S. Please don't take my last post too harshly :-)

Leave a comment:

• funkybomber
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You should NEVER run X11 application as root. It opens a local root escalation security hole that is trivial to abuse.
    Well, if this causes a local root escalation security hole, that is something to take into consideration.
    However I am the only having access to my PC, so I think local attacks should be a non issue. Am I wrong in my reasoning?

If there was a possibility of a remote attack when using X11 applications as root that would be a different story...

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    > You should NEVER run X11 application as root. It opens a local root escalation security hole that is trivial to abuse.

Only if you are already running malware.

You should NEVER run malware. It opens a local root escalation security hole that is trivial to abuse :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X