Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung/Enlightenment Experiment With Wayland In A Widget

Phoronix: Samsung/Enlightenment Experiment With Wayland In A Widget

Enlightenment / Samsung OSG developers have been experimenting with running Wayland within a tool-kit widget. E.g. running the Weston terminal within an EGL tool-kit widget that in turn could be running on X.Org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

>EGL tool-kit widget
    I think you mean EFL...

Comment

Originally posted by eugene2k View Post
      >EGL tool-kit widget
      I think you mean EFL...
      Yep, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wait a second, isn't Wayland supposed to sandbox the applications already (for the part that concernes its job, anyway), and was Xorg that allows anything with a GUI to keylog the hell out of my system?

Why a widget or a compositor-in-a-compositor is better in this case?

Comment

I can see something like this being interesting for organizing a very complex graphics application, which ends up basically having its own windowing system whether you like it or not.

Comment

Methinks this misses whole point of either Wayland or Enlightenment.

Comment

We actually wrote something like this in KDE as well. In our case the reason was that we were prototyping a Qt Quick version of the System Settings application and were experimenting with ways to embed the legacy QWidget-based modules into that. So we played around with running them out of process and compositing them into the Qt Quick shell via Wayland. It turned out to be more trouble than it's worth, but you got "neat!" moments like running Plasma/Wayland inside a plasmoid on the desktop out of it.

Comment

Working...
              X