No announcement yet.

It's Now Possible To Run Fedora On Chromebooks With Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read both pages and can't determine - is this x86 only?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      "Can't run" can be because of many reasons. I never claimed the kernel or wayland were different, only that you can't natively install Linux Desktop applications in ChromeOS, because that's true.

You need to enable dev mode, then make a chroot and run some scripts and then you can run applications with some limitations. If you want to run them natively, you need to nuke that crap down to coreboot, and replacing it whole.
      Full out of date information

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os...-c7-chromebook.

Chromebooks modern one support boot USB. Ok you have to go into developer mode and turn it on. Then you can use a stock standard Linux distribution. So no need to remove coreboot from a chromebook to run standard Linux as long as it a fairly recent chromebook.

Native running Linux applications is what chromebooks can do. Chrome OS lacks the tools to install native applications easily without going to third part bits.

Routers firmware will in most cases be missing graphics drivers. Kernel side and graphical side all you need to run most Linux Desktop Applications is present in Chrome OS.

You can run complete appimage packaged Linux Desktop Applications on Chrome OS without chroot. There are multi ways to skin the Chrome OS limitation problem.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Imho if this guy managed to install Fedora applications, getting Flatpack in there isn't that hard.
      Flatpak had bundled runtime so it does not need Fedora or other distributions installed to get around the Chrome OS limitation. So depending on how a Linux Desktop application is packaged it might run on Chrome OS as is as long as you are in developer mode.

To be correct you cannot install native Linux Desktop Applications in chrome os in default configuration. Like it or not the kernel used in Chrome OS is fairly much stock standard as you would find in every other Linux distribution. Wayland interface is also equally stock standard.

Now if you attempt to run Linux applications on android that is having to deal with the fact the graphical system does not in fact match.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Yeah its a good thing if you overlook the fact that google is essentially spyware.
        I own a Dell Chromebook 13 with the i3-5005u cpu, it's my first Chromebook and I have to say it is extremely slick. The design and polish are outstanding, with every bit of fit and finish you'd expect from an Apple product. Everything is fast and silky smooth and just works.

That said, I agree 100% with your sentiment. Which is why I promptly flashed the BIOS and installed Fedora 25

The downside to Crouton is that it's just a chroot environment. You're still running ChromeOS underneath. It's slightly more involved to upgrade the SeaBIOS and install Fedora on bare metal, but at least you rid yourself of all traces of Google. I was pleasantly surprised to find ALL of the chromebook hardware supported out of the box on Fedora 25. Had to remap the special keys on the keyboard to make them do what they're supposed to, and also had to implement a tweak to get sleep/resume to work properly. Other than that, it makes for a really easy Fedora laptop, at a very attractive price point, with 10+ hours of battery life. I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Working...
        X