Sway Wayland Compositor Adding Proprietary NVIDIA Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Termy View Post

Well, i get what you're saying, but i wouldn't consider a painful blob that doesn't support standards a "good driver"
    It's true that it's performance is still better than amdgpu(/pro) - but thankfully, things are changing fast...although i'd too be happy if amd would be faster in opensourcing vulkan/openCL.
    But the discussion about principles/pragmatism has been there often enough ^^
    I'm hearing this excuses for years! I'm am working in a company on the topic CNN and we can't argue about idealism. When AMD doesn't do its job, then we have to choose NVIDIA. It's that simple. And no: The NVIDIA blob isn't really painful:

sudo apt install nvidia-375

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

I'm hearing this excuses for years! I'm am working in a company on the topic CNN and we can't argue about idealism. When AMD doesn't do its job, then we have to choose NVIDIA. It's that simple. And no: The NVIDIA blob isn't really painful:

Well, then you'd have to stick with X or ask nvidia to support wayland properly imho

And of all the systems i "support" (family, friends etc), the only ones with major troubles are ONLY those with nv-blobs. I don't say that it's always bad, but it has a tendency to mess things up in my experience...

Comment

Well, then you'd have to stick with X or ask nvidia to support wayland properly imho

And of all the systems i "support" (family, friends etc), the only ones with major troubles are ONLY those with nv-blobs. I don't say that it's always bad, but it has a tendency to mess things up in my experience...
        I don't say that the experience is perfect, but I get more for my money than currently for AMD graphics cards. And as I private user, I care also how efficient graphic cards are and the power consumption in IDLE mode is really bad on AMD graphic cards compared to NVIDIA.

Anyway: I wish AMD the best luck in developing competitive graphic cards and drivers and when they succeed, I will switch to AMD again, like I did with Ryzen. But I won't switch for ideology reasons alone. This is one factor, but not the sole.

Comment

Please, escape from your narrow world! AMD's Tensorflow support is really modest. And games don't run well either. Don't blame the customer when AMD is not delivering full performance, because they are failing to deliver a good driver!
          Still not a good reason to bend over backwards to NVIDIA's needs, there need to be standards, not "de-facto standards".

Comment

And no: The NVIDIA blob isn't really painful:

I'm annoyed when I update something and GPU driver panics my kernel or fails to load so I can only use command line to disable it and restart with noveau to at least get a working desktop until I've finished troubleshooting (assuming Noveau supports your card and if it's not the case then it's all fun and games). This was true also for AMD's closed blob, and to a lesser extent for other out-of-tree drivers that may or may not break on updating something (kernel usually).

Let's not handwave stuff please.

Comment

Although it would be nice for people that made the error buying nvidia - i really hope, KDE (and others) don't waste resources to support EGLStreams and therefore encouraging behaviours like NVs...
              KDE devs already voiced that they're not interested supporting nvidia's implementation.

Comment

It depends on the distro, it's a pain on openSUSE Tumbleweed for example, probably not so much for the non-rolling Leap edition. I use Manjaro which is rolling but Arch has that sorted really well so it's not an issue.

Comment

Well, i get what you're saying, but i wouldn't consider a painful blob that doesn't support standards a "good driver"
                  It's true that it's performance is still better than amdgpu(/pro) - but thankfully, things are changing fast...although i'd too be happy if amd would be faster in opensourcing vulkan/openCL.
                  But the discussion about principles/pragmatism has been there often enough ^^
                  EGLStreams is a standard. GBM is a bad performing linux specific API.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

EGLStreams is a standard. GBM is a bad performing linux specific API.
                    While they both might have their pros and cons (and much more knowledgeable people than us disagree which one is better) the matter of fact is that wayland and therefore most of the linux-world agreed upon GBM as the standard for the to-be-standard display server. That makes it the Standard - and if EGLStreams is more of a standard in other fields, that doesn't really matter to that fact

Comment

When it comes to knowledge you cant beat nvidia. When you are a bunch of amatures that created shitty performing desktop software for decades. Or are second rank hirees to make foss community happy enough with your hardware. Maybe a bit mean but that is reality. And gbm isnt a standard in any way its wayland/linux specific.

Comment

Working...
                      X