Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway Wayland Compositor Adding Proprietary NVIDIA Driver Support

Phoronix: Sway Wayland Compositor Adding Proprietary NVIDIA Driver Support

The Sway Wayland compositor that aims to be i3-compatible continues picking up new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kind of off topic but has anyone seen any progress to the alternative to GBM that nvidia was also contributing to and the wayland people seemed to like???

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Kind of off topic but has anyone seen any progress to the alternative to GBM that nvidia was also contributing to and the wayland people seemed to like???
      It's not going to happen if WMs keep giving in and adding EGLStream support. And the Wayland people liked the idea of collaboration, not any actual API (because Nvidia didn't put forward any API yet).

Comment

they put up this some time ago.

Comment

Would like to see this in KDE, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
            Would like to see this in KDE, too.
            Although it would be nice for people that made the error buying nvidia - i really hope, KDE (and others) don't waste resources to support EGLStreams and therefore encouraging behaviours like NVs...

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EGLStream/nvidia support isn't implemented it sway itself but from the wlc library it's built on so all wm's built upon it such as orbment, waycooler and fireplace should have support for it now aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

Although it would be nice for people that made the error buying nvidia - i really hope, KDE (and others) don't waste resources to support EGLStreams and therefore encouraging behaviours like NVs...
                Please, escape from your narrow world! AMD's Tensorflow support is really modest. And games don't run well either. Don't blame the customer when AMD is not delivering full performance, because they are failing to deliver a good driver!
                Last edited by Steffo; 30 April 2017, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Please, escape from your narrow world! AMD's Tensorflow support is really modest. And games don't run well either. Don't blame the customer when AMD is not delivering full performance, because they are failing to deliver a good driver!
                  Well, i get what you're saying, but i wouldn't consider a painful blob that doesn't support standards a "good driver"
                  It's true that it's performance is still better than amdgpu(/pro) - but thankfully, things are changing fast...although i'd too be happy if amd would be faster in opensourcing vulkan/openCL.
                  But the discussion about principles/pragmatism has been there often enough ^^

Comment

I tried to buy AMD 2 years ago and they sell me all the openness of the GCN generation. I got a full year of crap gaming performance. Then I sell it and got a nVidia. Now I'm​ able to play my games.
                    I will buy AMD GPU again only when they deliver real good drivers... Ultimately then, I'm a nVidia "happy" user.

Comment

Working...
                    X