Mir Developers See The Door, No Commits In A Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
    Just think all this started because people didn't like gnome 3 so bad people started making their own desktops.
    All this started because of Google's Android success, and someone said hey X is not good for phones lets made something good for phones

And now instead of traditional desktop we have or strive to phonoided Desktops Someone wanna Google's and Microsoft's successes in the single metaphor you know
    Last edited by dungeon; 20 April 2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

not bad people. people who thought they could do better. why not let them try!?
      lel
      I think he meant something more like:

Just think all this started because people didn't like gnome 3 so bad (insert comma here) people started making their own desktops.

Comment

Oh noes. A whole week?
        Come on Michael, I don't mind the occasional click bait, but you're better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
          Just think all this started because people didn't like gnome 3 so bad people started making their own desktops.
          Not really, it's not that they are bad. It's just that they are inexperience with something as large scale as X.org, and it showed really... Mir ended up repeating the same mistakes, particularly when it some to buffer management.
          Truth is that if they simply drift into wayland development now, they should be wiser. Which is always a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Oh noes. A whole week?
            Come on Michael, I don't mind the occasional click bait, but you're better than this.
            For an established and stable product, a week without commits might be perfectly fine, but Mir is fundamentally unestablished, incomplete, and unstable. If it were under active development, there would be commits every weekday at least.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

not bad people. people who thought they could do better. why not let them try!?
              Originally posted by Duve View Post

Not really, it's not that they are bad. It's just that they are inexperience with something as large scale as X.org, and it showed really... Mir ended up repeating the same mistakes, particularly when it some to buffer management.
              Truth is that if they simply drift into wayland development now, they should be wiser. Which is always a plus.
              I forgot a comma. My bad.....................

I was just commenting on how mir and unity came into existence. Look at all the new desktops that came into existence because of gnome3. lol

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Mir isn't a desktop, your argument is invalid.
              You got me on a technicality. Mir was built to work with unity they were suppose to be packaged together. They just wanted their own desktop and their own display server that they could control. I remember ubuntu even had issues with natilus having features removed faster than they could be patched back in.

Comment

I told everyone back in 2010 that shuttleworth was a snake oil salesman.

Comment

Mir and Bazaar.. LoL the amount of NIH in that company. Anyone remember the Ubuntu One, Upstart, setting up your own Launchpad.. so much fail... and the default encryption in Ubuntu was EncFS with silly file name length restrictions. So much fail.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    Anyone remember the Ubuntu One, Upstart, setting up your own Launchpad.. so much fail.
                    This should be written as an opinion, not an assertion.

I miss Ubuntu One, I really liked it and for me neither Google Drive nor Dropbox (not anywhere near good enough for me) can give me a similar experience, although Google Drive is what comes somewhat closest.
                    Unity has drastically improved my work/leisureflow.
                    It is not because it was stopped or you don't like it that it is a fail. It's just your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      rant
                      <meme>Complains about how other post misses the topic; goes on an Alex Jones style rant about "femnazis" "PC" and social welfare</meme>

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                      They took on too much. They could have done the phone and Unity 8, but taking on Mir was too much.
                      I would assume there would have been some design limitations/challenges by going with a Wayland server instead of Mir, but Mir should have died off in the early days when it was clear that no one was interested in using it besides canonical.
                      I can understand why they created mir. The wayland community in large didn't want to commit the changes cannonical felt they needed for use on phones and the like, so their alternative was to either create a fork of wayland or write something new, I'm quite happy with them doing the later. As for the failure of mir (and unity/convergence) a large part of that is their failure to get actual decent hardware out running the software.
                      Doesn't matter if you got a decent OS if the hardware it runs on is so crappy that pretty much no one will buy it, and for those that wanted to, it was near impossible to actually get hold of the devices. Cannonical did slightly better than Mozilla in that regard, but still mostly failed. If the arm, and specially the phone/tablet world wasn't so utterly broken when it comes to access to drivers, and if not for stupid carriers thinking that they should be the ones controlling what software/hardware a customer is allowed to use the story might very well have ended drasticly different.

As for the MIR development now stopping dead in its track, that is just as expected.

Comment

Working...
                      X