Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ResponseWriter
    replied
    At first I was a little bothered by the end of support for Ubuntu Touch but today I encountered one of the same bugs I've encountered for at least a year where the music player simply refuses to play anything at all until I run `pulseaudio -k`. It's been months since I got the feeling any useful improvements were happening at all.

The Ubuntu Phone and convergence could have been a great product and I really wanted that to happen but it's been hard to see any real progress in actually getting there.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Elendig View Post
    I can understand why they created mir. The wayland community in large didn't want to commit the changes cannonical felt they needed for use on phones and the like, so their alternative was to either create a fork of wayland or write something new,
    Please name the specific features you are talking about here. I have never seen this provided by Canonical as a justification for Mir. Wayland was used successfully on phones for years before Mir. And Wayland has an extension system specifically so DEs like Unity can add the DE-specific features they need. So please explain exactly what you are talking about.

And please don't mention "android driver support", because Mir only had that thanks to Wayland. They used libhybris, which was developed for Wayland and worked well on Wayland long before Mir even existed.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Oh noes. A whole week?
    Come on Michael, I don't mind the occasional click bait, but you're better than this.
    Too little hate towards Mir detected in this post. Please hate Mir more. Let's keep Phoronix great.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by DIRT View Post
    I was just commenting on how mir and unity came into existence. Look at all the new desktops that came into existence because of gnome3. lol
    Yeah, and all of them have their own display server, no wait...

You got me on a technicality.
    It's not a technicality, it's the part that makes them different from everyone else, which makes your argument invalid.
    Mir was built to work with unity they were suppose to be packaged together. They just wanted their own desktop and their own display server that they could control.
    And I'm just saying that there was no good reason to have full control over a display server unless you were on a serious power trip. How many distros have forked X in the last decades because they wanted control over it?

I remember ubuntu even had issues with natilus having features removed faster than they could be patched back in.
    And? This does not justify making a new display server.

Leave a comment:

• bkor
    replied
    Originally posted by DIRT View Post
    I was just commenting on how mir and unity came into existence. Look at all the new desktops that came into existence because of gnome3. lol
    Mir has NOTHING to do with GNOME 3. Unity 7 was started because they wanted to go their own way. Mir was meant to be used with Unity 8, NOT Unity 7! Why? Still don't understand. After the scrapping they're now talking about Mir somehow supporting Wayland clients or something. Entirely confusing situation.

Anyway, you did NOT comment on how Mir came into existence. That's a case of ?!?!? because I still don't understand why it is needed (except control maybe).

Note that Unity 7 relies on quite a fair bit of components hosted at git.gnome.org.... it is pretty pointless to seek hostility between GNOME 3 and Ubuntu. It's like people expecting KDE and GNOME developers to dislike each other.
    Last edited by bkor; 21 April 2017, 04:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Elendig
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    rant
    <meme>Complains about how other post misses the topic; goes on an Alex Jones style rant about "femnazis" "PC" and social welfare</meme>

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
    They took on too much. They could have done the phone and Unity 8, but taking on Mir was too much.
    I would assume there would have been some design limitations/challenges by going with a Wayland server instead of Mir, but Mir should have died off in the early days when it was clear that no one was interested in using it besides canonical.
    I can understand why they created mir. The wayland community in large didn't want to commit the changes cannonical felt they needed for use on phones and the like, so their alternative was to either create a fork of wayland or write something new, I'm quite happy with them doing the later. As for the failure of mir (and unity/convergence) a large part of that is their failure to get actual decent hardware out running the software.
    Doesn't matter if you got a decent OS if the hardware it runs on is so crappy that pretty much no one will buy it, and for those that wanted to, it was near impossible to actually get hold of the devices. Cannonical did slightly better than Mozilla in that regard, but still mostly failed. If the arm, and specially the phone/tablet world wasn't so utterly broken when it comes to access to drivers, and if not for stupid carriers thinking that they should be the ones controlling what software/hardware a customer is allowed to use the story might very well have ended drasticly different.

As for the MIR development now stopping dead in its track, that is just as expected.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Anyone remember the Ubuntu One, Upstart, setting up your own Launchpad.. so much fail.
    This should be written as an opinion, not an assertion.

I miss Ubuntu One, I really liked it and for me neither Google Drive nor Dropbox (not anywhere near good enough for me) can give me a similar experience, although Google Drive is what comes somewhat closest.
    Unity has drastically improved my work/leisureflow.
    It is not because it was stopped or you don't like it that it is a fail. It's just your opinion.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Mir and Bazaar.. LoL the amount of NIH in that company. Anyone remember the Ubuntu One, Upstart, setting up your own Launchpad.. so much fail... and the default encryption in Ubuntu was EncFS with silly file name length restrictions. So much fail.

Leave a comment:

• labyrinth153
    replied
    I told everyone back in 2010 that shuttleworth was a snake oil salesman.

Leave a comment:

• DIRT
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post

not bad people. people who thought they could do better. why not let them try!?
    Originally posted by Duve View Post

Not really, it's not that they are bad. It's just that they are inexperience with something as large scale as X.org, and it showed really... Mir ended up repeating the same mistakes, particularly when it some to buffer management.
    Truth is that if they simply drift into wayland development now, they should be wiser. Which is always a plus.
    I forgot a comma. My bad.....................

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Mir isn't a desktop, your argument is invalid.
    You got me on a technicality. Mir was built to work with unity they were suppose to be packaged together. They just wanted their own desktop and their own display server that they could control. I remember ubuntu even had issues with natilus having features removed faster than they could be patched back in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X