X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serafean
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    This is why I don't want to work as a programmer.

You literally put your soul into your work and then a manager comes and says, "It's all scrapped, we're changing direction". I wonder if programmers have ever committed suicide because of this.
    A good programmer admits defeat on technical arguments. I have, and I have seen other people do it too. ie: "This product does what I'm trying to do, but better"

From this post Mir sounds like a half-assed solution.
    positioning tooltips without imposing a desktop style
    What? This is the job of the window manager...

Mir should be let to die. It has caused needless fragmentation and loss of manpower in the Xorg replacement race.
    Here's to hoping the eglstreams situation gets resolved quickly too.

Leave a comment:

• karolherbst
    replied

You literally put your soul into your work and then a manager comes and says, "It's all scrapped, we're changing direction". I wonder if programmers have ever committed suicide because of this.
    if you want to be successful in programming, you should always assume, that you have to throw everything away, because something is fundamentally wrong. You just do it again and don't make the same mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    The NIH is strong with this one. No wonder the whole thing went under.

birdie It's more complicated than that, but yes, you don't put your soul into it if you value your sanity.

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied

programming is suicide.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Mir Developer Pleads The Case "Why Mir"

Mir Developer Pleads The Case "Why Mir"

Phoronix: Mir Developer Pleads The Case "Why Mir"

Canonical developer Alan Griffiths has been blogging a lot in recent days about the Mir display server. He's been trying to get the community to support Mir and even potentially add native Wayland client support. His latest post is entitled "Why Mir" with many still wondering why they should care about Mir when Wayland has proven to be the tested and widely-adopted path forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X