X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post

I could phrase it as "Mir provides you with a display server, Wayland has you build your own". But I'm not trolling.
    You could, but you would be wrong. Mir and Wayland both provide a display server, but Wayland also lets you build your own while Mir doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• anda_skoa
    replied
    Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post
    I could phrase it as "Mir provides you with a display server, Wayland has you build your own".
    I think Wayland also has a reference implementation for the compositor part. It is named Weston I believe.

Cheers,
    _

Leave a comment:

• AlanGriffiths
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you could phrase it better as "mir has only one implementation of display server". now it doesn't sound like an improvement
    I could phrase it as "Mir provides you with a display server, Wayland has you build your own". But I'm not trolling.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by bregma View Post

I don't have to google anything about this. It's my job as the guy who runs the Mir development team at Canonical to know these things inside and out.
    And yet you still get basic, fundamental aspects of Wayland completely wrong. That is worrisome to put it lightly.

Leave a comment:

• bregma
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    That is pretty hypocritical when you have been spreading flat-out wrong information about Wayland, information that ten seconds of googling would have shown you was wrong.
    I don't have to google anything about this. It's my job as the guy who runs the Mir development team at Canonical to know these things inside and out.

Leave a comment:

• bregma
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    no, you don't. why should i hate? most engineers are of low level
    Oh, I don't know why you hate, I assume it's because as rumours have it your heart is two sizes too small. But most of your posts are just expressions of hate, hate towards projects, hate towards people. I imagine you hate kittens and puppies too. You seem to be a very unhappy person. So, I get that you hate. I get that you come here to show us how outraged you are at everything.

Just go ahead. Take it all out here. Do your best Kylo Ren and use you words to try to destroy people and their work. After all, it's just so much easier than trying to actually do something of lasting value.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post

Because the inner core of Mir is this, the outer shell might be different though
    That is basically the point, the difference between Mir and Wayland's design isn't the "inner core" or the "outer shell", those work in roughly the same way in both. The difference is that Wayland makes the "inner core" and "outer shell" both accessible to developers, while Mir only makes the "outer shell" accessible.

Leave a comment:

• littleowl
    replied
    Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

if you want to read one person opinion, read the comments in response - here's one i picked
    "The TL;DR is that he wants to write a toolkit (or a compositor?) and is pissed that it's not simple. There should be a library that does exactly what he wants but there isn't and every question he has should be answered just the way he thinks about the problem but it isn't. And that's of course Wayland's fault."
    If you read down the comments, he reduces his argument to "bad documentation".
    Exacly. I use wayland on embedded targets and have to say that the protocol is well designed.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    I don't know how Mir supports got this idea, it is completely wrong. Both Wayland and Mir use a protocol for communication between clients and the server, and both Wayland and Mir provide an API to access that protocol. The difference is that under Wayland the protocol is considered a backwards-compatible, public interface that other projects can use if they want to (although most just use the API), while under Mir the protocol is considered private and not backwards-compatible so other projects are not supposed to use it.
    Because the inner core of Mir is this, the outer shell might be different though

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by bregma View Post
    It's easy enough to judge from a position of ignorance, especially with the quantity of disinformation available on this subject through social media where your ignorance is as valuable as my facts.
    That is pretty hypocritical when you have been spreading flat-out wrong information about Wayland, information that ten seconds of googling would have shown you was wrong.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X