Mir Developer Hopes Community Will Use It & Add Wayland Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Developer Hopes Community Will Use It & Add Wayland Compatibility

Phoronix: Mir Developer Hopes Community Will Use It & Add Wayland Compatibility

One of the lead developers on the Mir project at Canonical, Alan Griffiths, has finally opened up about this week's news of Ubuntu dropping efforts around Unity 8 and switching back to GNOME. This also is pretty much definitive that Mir is being dropped and Ubuntu will end up making use of Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Mir offer anything that Wayland doesn't?

Comment

His reasons for recommending "Plan 1" in this article is that Mir is a good piece of software. But guess what, so is Wayland.

The original reason Canonical wanted to develop Mir was that they said that Wayland had issues with its input on touch devices which have since been debunked. Can anyone give me any actual good reason for Mir to exist?

Comment

Johanb johanb johanb..... that horse has been beaten til bit was dust and beat some more. Just stop, it's dead. Your embarrassing yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          The only compelling reason I can think of for keeping Mir at this point is the difficulty of porting Unity 8 to Wayland.

Comment

Just read articles from 2013 about devs of Mir: "We're not aiming to satisfy anyone's requirements but our own." Well said!

Comment

It's difficult to feel sorry for the Mir devs. They had to know what kind of software they were working on all along. I, for one, hope that Mir will end buried deep at the abandonware junkyard and we will all be using Wayland-based desktops in 2018.

Comment

I am a happy Unity 7 user, so don't know what gives Unity 8 for regular desktop use. Maybe we should screw Unity 8, and port Unity 7 to Wayland. For people advocating GNOME 3 could be made look like Unity,... I have tried..really. On several occasions installed Fedora, installed GNOME extensions, configured, and in the end I always end up something missing, and returning back to Ubuntu. Don't like they are reverting to GNOME, thus looking like any other distro.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  A different design philosophy. Mir was supposed to be a display server with an API (one that was testable) where as wayland uses a protocol to pass messages.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    I am a happy Unity 7 user, so don't know what gives Unity 8 for regular desktop use. Maybe we should screw Unity 8, and port Unity 7 to Wayland.
                    That's what Unity 8 was, basically porting Unity 7 to newer tech. Trying to port Unity 7 to Wayland is not at all feasible. I feel the same way about Gnome, guess I will give it another try and maybe see if KDE does it better now. Really wish I didn't have to though...

Comment

Working...
                    X