No announcement yet.

Mir Developer Hopes Community Will Use It & Add Wayland Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Mir, not to fork it.

Comment

Add a second protocol where the usage of this protocol is almost 0% and than the other things that is missing for Mir. Seriously...I can't feel sorry for some of those Mir Devs.
      I read an old article from 2013 about Mir: "We're not aiming to satisfy anyone's requirements but our own."

Comment

Mir and Unity are now in the hands of the people who are interested in this kind of tech. As a big supporter of the Unity 7 environment, I hope all these projects become forked and maintained independently by the people who worked hard to bring them up. This would be a big victory for the free software movement and a proper response to all the haters who spit venom over the years because of the CLA.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
          The original reason Canonical wanted to develop Mir was that they said that Wayland had issues with its input on touch devices which have since been debunked. Can anyone give me any actual good reason for Mir to exist?
          Mir itself started when it was using a subset of the Wayland protocol, back in the 0.6 days (which was really early) before it forked into Mir. I am pretty sure that Mir has mutated since then since it's focus was on the API and not so much the protocol, on top of the fact that Mir was never build to keep in line with Wayland's changes since the fork point.

Unity would likely be portable to Wayland after alot of rewriting, but given that Unity has been 6 years of work in a bubble where the wayland protocol doesn't exist. I would not assume it to be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Does Mir offer anything that Wayland doesn't?
            Yes. Mir offers a display server, Wayland offers a way to talk to a display server. There are already several Wayland based display servers - without Canonical it is at least conceivable Mir could be another.

Comment

Wayland is not all roses, like many are trying to portray it, just today on reddit some dev complained about it https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...eed_to_change/

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                Mir and Unity are now in the hands of the people who are interested in this kind of tech. As a big supporter of the Unity 7 environment, I hope all these projects become forked and maintained independently by the people who worked hard to bring them up. This would be a big victory for the free software movement and a proper response to all the haters who spit venom over the years because of the CLA.
                We all know that the "we would all like to contribute, but we cant because there is the CLA"-talk was just bullshit. There is no one now starting to contribute to ex-canonical projects when they dont require the CLA anymore. So long for the "honest" Linux-"Community".
                It is the same bullshit with the people now demanding that ubuntu/canonical now has to fix wayland and gnome. i wonder why no one demands redhat to fix their wayland and their gnome first.

I dont think its possible to port Unity7 to wayland, since compiz is a deadend and the rest is a heavyly patched QT and GTK. But looking what Budgie or Cinnamon achieve with small Communities i think somethink similar could be possible. But in the long run the Linux-Community should adress how upstream (gnome/redhat) is handleing contribution and patches from non gnome-shell and redhat guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
                  Wayland is not all roses, like many are trying to portray it, just today on reddit some dev complained about it https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...eed_to_change/
                  One person complaining on reddit doesn't mean that there's an issue. If you'd go by Reddit (specially r/linux), everything is utterly terrible and everyone should be hated/slamed, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
                    We all know that the "we would all like to contribute, but we cant because there is the CLA"-talk was just bullshit. There is no one now starting to contribute to ex-canonical projects when they dont require the CLA anymore.
                    The complaints was about 1) requiring the CLA 2) deviating needlessly. Requiring CLA was pretty much why Upstart wasn't contributed to. Dropping a CLA does NOT entitle you to automatic developers/usage. There's LOADS of one-man things on Github. NOBODY said they wanted to contribute to Mir.

Pretending people said something they didn't to complain about them: maybe first look at yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

One person complaining on reddit doesn't mean that there's an issue. If you'd go by Reddit (specially r/linux), everything is utterly terrible and everyone should be hated/slamed, etc.
                      But how often and where do you read about people's opinion, who actually have to work with Wayland?

Comment

Working...
                      X