1. (657624) unity
    2. (290047) kubuntu-desktop + kde-plasma-desktop + kde-full
    3. (205665) gnome-shell + gnome
    4. (49604) xfce4
    5. (23000) lxde
    6. (14697) icewm
    7. (11454) cinnamon
    8. (5321) mate-desktop

I'm a bit surprised anyone could think that Unity was not the most used desktop environment with Ubuntu. It's the default. That alone is enough argument. It's the thing that you get when clicking on the Download link on the website.

Don't you people know how most of the world uses an operating system? They stick to the defaults. The tweakers, modders, and whatnot are the minority.
    No. It's installed by default for everyone. nobody is going to the trouble to uninstall it, They will simply install the desktop of their choice and use that. If you consult virtually any linux desktop survey poll you will see that unity ranks well below gnome and kde.

Trotting out install counts of Unity as a measure of popularity is worthless in this context.

Update:
    Even worse:the combined total of all the other desktops installed along-side Unity is evidence that Unity is NOT very popular.
    Add to it, that Unity is only available on Ubuntu distro and you see the relative popularity of Unity shrinks even further.
    Last edited by project_phelius; 07 April 2017, 07:24 AM.

Comment

An excellent Desktop, but without essential software can not succeed. Even some proprietary.
      The vast majority of Android applications are proprietary, and this can hardly be changed unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by project_phelius View Post

Update:
        Even worse:the combined total of all the other desktops installed along-side Unity is evidence that Unity is NOT very popular.
        Add to it, that Unity is only available on Ubuntu distro and you see the relative popularity of Unity shrinks even further.
        OK at this moment maybe Unity is not so popular, but under a "democratic" control, this can be adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post

OK at this moment maybe Unity is not so popular, but under a "democratic" control, this can be adjusted.
          haha. It sn't my cup of tea, but I pray this new Unity will restore power to... "the people".

Comment

No. It's installed by default for everyone. nobody is going to the trouble to uninstall it, They will simply install the desktop of their choice and use that. If you consult virtually any linux desktop survey poll you will see that unity ranks well below gnome and kde.
            It does vary from poll to poll. But Unity has been at the top of some.

Well Ubuntu is still a considerable % of overall Linux desktop installations. I think you are underestimating its popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Singh View Post

It does vary from poll to poll. But Unity has been at the top of some.

Well Ubuntu is still a considerable % of overall Linux desktop installations. I think you are underestimating its popularity.
              Yes, i shouldn't have left that hanging: I didn't mean to imply Unity didn't have enough popularity to still be a successful community project.
              Good luck to those volunteers.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post

Eleven years ago, according to a survey made by Novell at that time, most requested Windows applications by users, for Linux Desktop to finally arrive were Photoshop, Autocad, Macromedia Studio, Visio, Lotus Notes.
                So they were asking for specific brand names, rather than actual functionality?

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”
                -- Henry Ford

Comment

Wow so many hates for GNOME :-/. I personally prefer it over anything else. It was a bumpy ride from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3, but after a while, I become used to it.

I can use Unity a little bit as well, but I prefer the clean look of GNOME 3. It's just easier to my eyes I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

Utter bullshit by lack of complete knowledge.

Unity _is_ specific to Ubuntu. It's not made to be easily reused on other distributions. It's pretty much tied to applying specific patches to various components. That's the way various things are developed by Canonical. Pretending it's just laziness shows you know shit about the situation.

Feel free disprove me btw, but instead of claims, back it up with references.
                    Of course various things are developed by applying patches to source code. That's how all software is developed. It's not like Canonical is the only software developer that contributes patches. So we wanted apps to be able to export their menus over DBus so that it could be integrated with shells, allow for new types of menus, speech recognition and other things – without having to patch every app, like Gnome ended up doing for their own apps only. That ability required new functionality in GTK+, so this was contributed, but Gnome didn't allow it. In effect, Gnome kept Unity out of other distros, but that doesn't speak for Canonical's intentions. Obviously, all distros are allowed to maintain their own software, but they don't. They just take what's handed to them and I think that's lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                      Obviously, all distros are allowed to maintain their own software, but they don't. They just take what's handed to them and I think that's lazy.
                      That is so wrong it is insulting. Most, if not all, major distros maintain their own stuff, a lot of which Ubuntu uses. Red Hat is the largest contributor to many projects and maintains the rpm file format and its associated tools. openSUSE/SLE has YaST, OSC, AppArmor, and their sat solver (which Red Hat is now using as well). Debian has the deb file format and all the tools associated with it. Arch has pacman.

Note that Ubuntu is based off debian and uses the deb file format and its tools developed by debian, Canonical's snap file format uses AppArmor developed by Suse for security, and they are switching to Gnome which is largely maintained by Red Hat.

Comment

Working...
                      X