Some In The Ubuntu Community Want To Fork, Maintain Unity 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

A-Singh linked polls from omgubuntu.co.uk where thousands voted and Unity got most votes for most favorite desktop environment, and no it is not biased because that site is read by users of *buntu flavors as well as people who dont even use Ubuntu. And look around, just about every institution or business that uses Ubuntu uses Unity. It is a well liked desktop, sure some didnt like it and moved on to other *buntu flavors or other distributions, but not as many as some would like others to believe. I didnt like Unity at all when it was introduced, but over time I liked it more and more until it became my default desktop environment and I will be extremely disappointed if Unity disappears forever, I trust in the community to at least make a Ubuntu flavor with Unity 7 as desktop environment, however I expect Canonical to keep Unity in the repositories so we that like it can install it easily.
    Ok, that's a proper argument. That's what I was looking for, thanks.

Comment

Okay, I will throw my R$0,02.

Cannonical finally noticed that they could keep all their desktop experience without having to maintain a separate DE. So I bet they will just give Gnome 3 a Unity lipstick and go on with their lives without having the burden of development on them.
      Last edited by M@GOid; 06 April 2017, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        Windows can run Unity
        Is it only me not getting the meaning (or the wit) here?

Comment

Mark Shuttleworth and his Canonical chose to fight on three fronts and finally lost the war.

Since the beginning has set three objectives, two of which were hard to achieve if not impossible.

Convergence of Desktop and Phone UI an OS.
          Mir a competing protocol and dispaly server
          Unity Desktop environment

First seem to be an utopian dream, bigger name like Microsoft already failed and abandoned this from their agenda.
          Second require many device drivers proprietary or open source. First need cooperation from hardware manufacturers(and significant financial gains). The second would involve a lot of work from Canonical.

Unity Desktop seems most easily achieved target. Chances were maximum if it were built on top of Walyand in a first phase for Intel or AMD hardware. And APU like K10 a perfect choice.
          Unity/Qt a good alternative for Gnome/Gtk or derivates. Competition is good for diversity of options, since Ubuntu has a very large user base, and several options are welcome. Not just the monoculture based Gnome.

Indeed Unity cand survive as a cross platform core fork. Shuttleworth would have to donate all projects and work to continue under a foundation umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Ubuntu's vision was wrong IMO.
            The same way you can't make a vehicle that can be good on water, air and land, you can't make a DE that's good on a Desktop/Laptop and on a Tablet/Phone...
            IMHO the way thigns should be is this:
            . Dedicated DE for the device you're using. I don't use my fingers on my desktop/laptop and i also don't use a mouse on my phone/tablet...
            . The APPs should run of both DEs, being the same base/platform.
            . Furthermore it should be a common account that unifies all your data whatever is the device/DE your using.
            . If the tech will allow it we should have a single device (like the new Samsung S8 is trying) that changes DE according to the display size/characteristics it has avaliable.
            . This the correct way i envision a unification of the platforms.

Canonical just approached the problem the wrong way, like M$ and Gnome did...
            And whoever follows donw that path is destined to fail.

Just my 2 bucks...
            Microsoft is now working on a universal shell for Windows 10 that works like this. It's called Composable Shell. So it's a single shell with four distinct operating modes: desktop, touch, TV, and holographic.

1. Connect a phone to a dock and use it as a PC.
            2. Connect a phone to a TV and use it as a HTPC (at a friend's house).
            3. Connect a PC to a TV and use it as a HTPC (at your house).

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
              . The APPs should run of both DEs, being the same base/platform.
              Just my 2 bucks...
              Not all Apps are suited for small screens. Only toy apps, others like CAD applications require large screen and mouse to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

Is it only me not getting the meaning (or the wit) here?
                Exactly that, Unity works not on any other distro but Ubuntu, AND WINDOWS. Exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

A-Singh linked polls from omgubuntu.co.uk that had thousands of users voting and majority said they use Unity, wherever you see Ubuntu in institutions and companies it is always with Unity, most people I know that use Ubuntu used the default with Unity. About 60% of *buntu users actually used Unity. And since Ubuntu is the largest distribution out there I wouldnt say Unity users were a small niche, the fact that just about every developer made their software Unity compatible also speaks volumes about how widespread Unity really is. Harmed Ubuntu? What are you people smoking? There is a whole *buntu family with other desktop environments to choose from, there is a flavor with just about every desktop environment out there, you dont like Unity? Great then use Kubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Gnome, Xubuntu, Lubuntu etc.
                  What you guys are smoking?

Just because a lot of people use Ubuntu, doesn't make their choice. Many of them are not happy. Many of them use Ubuntu because Ubuntu build up nice name BEFORE Unity.

A lot of people will hapilly not use Unity when Ubuntu will be using Gnome.

Kubuntu and Gubuntu Xubuntu and what else - are not Ubuntu and they are used SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T WANT UNITY.

I am not Gnome fan boy, I am not KDE fan boy, I use whatever works well. XFCE, sure. JUST NOT UNITY... Doesn't make you think, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Wow, Unity is just a program launcher like every other DE. It is replaceable - don't be so dramatic!
                    Unity is fantastic for people who primarily use the keyboard and has lots of open windows. If you disregard those users, the office ninjas, then I would agree with you. But I am an office ninja and that's why I don't agree that Unity is just another "program launcher".

I'm completely open to the possibility that Canonical can use Gnome Shell as a base to create a similarly attractive desktop, but I'm definitely not going to replace Unity 7 with something inferior. And to be honest, I'm rather happy considering Unity 7 as a completed desktop if the end comes in 2021. I don't care much about phones and tablets, so to me, Unity 8 was the promise of a modern Unity 7 with the potential for even more powerful desktop features.

I've been doing desktop wars since Windows vs GEM, probably before I learned how to tie my show laces. I've seen all the desktops, tried them all and Unity is by far my favorite desktop of all time. Because even though Unity is superb for keyboard users like me, it's also quite nice for people who use mouse or touch most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Exactly that, Unity works not on any other distro but Ubuntu, AND WINDOWS. Exactly that.
                      You keep repeating this lie that Unity doesn't work on Arch. Many distros choose to not support Unity, but that's their choice.

Distros are lazy, leaving all maintenance to the upstream, causing a single hierarchy of power which gets used to enforce certain political agendas. That is the fundamental issue with the distro model. Disagreement is not tolerated and if you fork, then you've been corrupted by the Evil NIH Inc. For some reason, though, it doesn't apply to everyone. Linux Mint has forked Gnome and chosen not to support Wayland, but nobody has any issues with that.

Sooner or later someone has to explain to me why a group of people should not be allowed to customize free software to fit their own purposes. I don't understand why that's evil.

Comment

Working...
                      X