Some In The Ubuntu Community Want To Fork, Maintain Unity 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    See I think that is one of the cool things about open source. If a company drops a project but a community is still able to thrive and that project lives on? Then it deserves to live on, imo. I totally agree ditch mir and adapt it for wayland and then it looks much more competitive. The mir requirement just makes Unity8 look anti-competitive. Fix that and then a whole lot of people can start using it and forming a community.
    Exactly. Even though bregma said Unity 8 is heavily tied to Mir I hope at least some code can be used to fork it to Wayland and make it a desktop for all distributions to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Statements like this only serve to illustrate the level of your ignorance. If you checked your facts you would see that Unity 7 was widely used and fairly popular among many users.
      If you checked your facts you would see that Canonical is dropping Unity because it wasn't popular and drove many of it's users to different desktop environments or even other distributions entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreakon View Post

If you checked your facts you would see that Canonical is dropping Unity because it wasn't popular and drove many of it's users to different desktop environments or even other distributions entirely.
        Achievement unlocked-this has to be the most misinformed and utterly stupid post in all of Phoronix, you didnt even bother to read Shuttleworth's post properly.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
          I am very upset with this Shuttleworth's decision. For me it is the end for my interest on Linux Desktop. I believe that any other DE is simply 10 years back and there is no vision generally for anything more than the 1,5% world desktop market share.

Ubuntu had that vision and thats why it became my primary desktop all those years. I prefer to abandon Ubuntu than use it with Gnome.
          I think you're a bit quick to jump to conclusions.

Done properly, Canonical won't just slap Gnome 3 onto Ubuntu. That wouldn't make sense as that'd just become a renamed Ubuntu GNOME. I expect them to adapt and adjust Gnome to give it the familiar Unity look currently featured.

I agree with you that Unity is quite special compared to the other DE's. Personally, I find it too limited and simple - something it has in common with Gnome, IMHO. But it's very newbie friendly and one of the best looking, if not THE best looking, default DE's.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreakon View Post
            No. They're dropping it because they found out that desktop/mobile convergence wasn't financially viable for a business of their size. Unity7 wasn't my cup of tea, but I know it has plenty of users/fans.

Comment

Maybe Unity would have been good if they had worked on Unity itself instead of investing in a dead end like Mir. Anyway, good riddance, I've been running Ubuntu Gnome for a long time now.

Comment

Achievement unlocked-this has to be the most misinformed and utterly stupid post in all of Phoronix, you didnt even bother to read Shuttleworth's post properly.
                You're so hilariously mad and in denial. If Unity was as beloved as you want to pretend it was, it wouldn't be getting canned.

Comment

Statements like this only serve to illustrate the level of your ignorance. If you checked your facts you would see that Unity 7 was widely used and fairly popular among many users.
                  Define 'many'.

Only Ubuntu and Windows can run Unity. A lot of Ubuntu users use KDE/Gnome, so compared to en mass Linux population- we have SMALL amount of people using it.

Unity is exactly reason I dont use Ubuntu anymore and never suggest it to anyone.
                  It did harm to Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Define 'many'.

Only Ubuntu and Windows can run Unity. A lot of Ubuntu users use KDE/Gnome, so compared to en mass Linux population- we have SMALL amount of people using it.

Unity is exactly reason I dont use Ubuntu anymore and never suggest it to anyone.
                    It did harm to Ubuntu.
                    A-Singh linked polls from omgubuntu.co.uk that had thousands of users voting and majority said they use Unity, wherever you see Ubuntu in institutions and companies it is always with Unity, most people I know that use Ubuntu used the default with Unity. About 60% of *buntu users actually used Unity. And since Ubuntu is the largest distribution out there I wouldnt say Unity users were a small niche, the fact that just about every developer made their software Unity compatible also speaks volumes about how widespread Unity really is. Harmed Ubuntu? What are you people smoking? There is a whole *buntu family with other desktop environments to choose from, there is a flavor with just about every desktop environment out there, you dont like Unity? Great then use Kubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Gnome, Xubuntu, Lubuntu etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Define 'many'.

It did harm to Ubuntu.
                      Much of the "en masse Linux population" is comprised of Ubuntu users, out of which a significant chunk are happily using Unity.

Comment

Working...
                      X