No announcement yet.

Some In The Ubuntu Community Want To Fork, Maintain Unity 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unity always sucked and did nothing better than Gnome. This fork will die as well, same will projects like MATE in the end. Development should be focused on the future and not cater to the needs of a special few individuals who is scared of change.

Comment

IMHO Mir should be preserved as well. It is essential free software and brings in variation and a different set of qualities than Wayland servers (modern c++ implementation, etc.).

Of course Unity 7 should also be forked. It is stable and an great desktop for X11 - which despite all the hype around Wayland is not going anywhere for at least the next 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
        IMHO Mir should be preserved as well. It is essential free software and brings in variation and a different set of qualities than Wayland servers (modern c++ implementation, etc.).

Of course Unity 7 should also be forked. It is stable and an great desktop for X11 - which despite all the hype around Wayland is not going anywhere for at least the next 10 years.
        I fully hope for at least Unity 7 based Ubuntu flavor, the irony-former default desktop becomes Ubuntu flavor desktop, but I wouldnt mind that and I think many users would love to see such a Ubuntu flavor.

Comment

I wonder how much of Unity could be implemented as GNOME3 extensions? I imagine that Ubuntu will be at least customising GNOME3 a bit to smooth the transition.

Also worth noting that UBports have a Patreon account https://www.patreon.com/ubports if you want to support the effort.

Comment

Some people are just trolls, really... *sigh*
            by the way, what about arcane (or arcade or whatever its name was..) ... maybe some people would be free to help that guy out and reorientate themselves for the time being. any news from there?

Comment

I can't say that I'm surprised some want the project to live on. But realistically speaking if the project couldn't deliver with Canonical behind it, what can it do with less push?

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
                Unity always sucked and did nothing better than Gnome. This fork will die as well, same will projects like MATE in the end. Development should be focused on the future and not cater to the needs of a special few individuals who is scared of change.
                I could see the Unity fork dying in less than a year. There's just a few people throwing tantrums as expected. MATE is a different beast though and I don't see it going away. MATE is actively being maintained and improved and is really popular. Unity was universally despised and seen as a waste of resources. Once the vocal minority calms down, they will just move on to GNOME because honestly after a few extensions it can work just like Unity and will be much better supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreakon View Post

I could see the Unity fork dying in less than a year. There's just a few people throwing tantrums as expected. MATE is a different beast though and I don't see it going away. MATE is actively being maintained and improved and is really popular. Unity was universally despised and seen as a waste of resources. Once the vocal minority calms down, they will just move on to GNOME because honestly after a few extensions it can work just like Unity and will be much better supported.
                  Statements like this only serve to illustrate the level of your ignorance. If you checked your facts you would see that Unity 7 was widely used and fairly popular among many users.

Comment

See I think that is one of the cool things about open source. If a company drops a project but a community is still able to thrive and that project lives on? Then it deserves to live on, imo. I totally agree ditch mir and adapt it for wayland and then it looks much more competitive. The mir requirement just makes Unity8 look anti-competitive. Fix that and then a whole lot of people can start using it and forming a community.

Comment

We push forward, fearlessly, for science!

Comment

Working...
                      X