X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onicsis
    replied
    Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

It doesn’t apply to everyone for a very simple reason: distros are not “lazy, leaving all maintenance to the upstream” etc etc.

It’s quite amusing to see someone spout an obvious misinformed prejudice, and then in the same paragraph, express mystification that their misinformation isn’t actually true...

Eleven years ago, according to a survey made by Novell at that time, most requested Windows applications by users, for Linux Desktop to finally arrive were Photoshop, Autocad, Macromedia Studio, Visio, Lotus Notes. Of course in the meantime many things have changed, but the result is still relevant I think

Update on Linux Application Request Survey

https://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/16836.html
    Novell Cool Solutions: Feature
    By Scott M. Morris

Posted: 2 Feb 2006
    Some new and fascinating data has surfaced from the results of the Novell CoolSolutions survey. This study is designed to find out what Windows-only applications, if ported to Linux, would increase the likelihood that people would switch to Linux. The obvious question, now that we have over 10,000 submissions, is "Which is the most-requested application?" This information will be gladly shared and discussed, along with some other fascinating revelations.

Leave a comment:

• bkor
    replied
    Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
    You keep repeating this lie that Unity doesn't work on Arch. Many distros choose to not support Unity, but that's their choice.
    Utter bullshit by lack of complete knowledge.

Unity _is_ specific to Ubuntu. It's not made to be easily reused on other distributions. It's pretty much tied to applying specific patches to various components. That's the way various things are developed by Canonical. Pretending it's just laziness shows you know shit about the situation.

Feel free disprove me btw, but instead of claims, back it up with references.

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by onicsis View Post
    Not all Apps are suited for small screens. Only toy apps, others like CAD applications require large screen and mouse to work properly.
    Of course that there always exceptions.
    But we should aim for that as a general rule nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• ldo17
    replied

Distros are lazy, leaving all maintenance to the upstream, causing a single hierarchy of power which gets used to enforce certain political agendas. That is the fundamental issue with the distro model. Disagreement is not tolerated and if you fork, then you've been corrupted by the Evil NIH Inc. For some reason, though, it doesn't apply to everyone.
    It doesn’t apply to everyone for a very simple reason: distros are not “lazy, leaving all maintenance to the upstream” etc etc.

It’s quite amusing to see someone spout an obvious misinformed prejudice, and then in the same paragraph, express mystification that their misinformation isn’t actually true...

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Wait, how does that count as a "fork"? It's merely a change of upstream.

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    I fully hope for at least Unity 7 based Ubuntu flavor, the irony-former default desktop becomes Ubuntu flavor desktop, but I wouldnt mind that and I think many users would love to see such a Ubuntu flavor.
    I'm sure there will be. After all, the Ubuntu GNOME maintainers have nothing else to do now

Leave a comment:

• ElderSnake
    replied

Unity is fantastic for people who primarily use the keyboard and has lots of open windows. If you disregard those users, the office ninjas, then I would agree with you. But I am an office ninja and that's why I don't agree that Unity is just another "program launcher".

I'm completely open to the possibility that Canonical can use Gnome Shell as a base to create a similarly attractive desktop, but I'm definitely not going to replace Unity 7 with something inferior. And to be honest, I'm rather happy considering Unity 7 as a completed desktop if the end comes in 2021. I don't care much about phones and tablets, so to me, Unity 8 was the promise of a modern Unity 7 with the potential for even more powerful desktop features.

I've been doing desktop wars since Windows vs GEM, probably before I learned how to tie my show laces. I've seen all the desktops, tried them all and Unity is by far my favorite desktop of all time. Because even though Unity is superb for keyboard users like me, it's also quite nice for people who use mouse or touch most of the time.
    GNOME Shell is pretty keyboard driven too, more than some people seem to think, even if you need to consult the Help files sometimes to know them. They could do with a quick onscreen cheat sheet like Unity has.

The keyboard power was one of the things that drew me to GNOME.

Leave a comment:

• srakitnican
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Because every cult mentality needs enemies and Ubuntu being the largest distribution out there is the best candidate for being the archenemy of the open source, before Ubuntu that place belonged to Microsoft, now new kids on the block consider Ubuntu to be evil, but in the end those who claim their plans were evil are basically a vocal minority on the Internet who want to appear bigger than they really are, 90% of Linux users dont give a crap about Wayland vs Mir and similar discussions, they just want their operating system to work as intended. Now that Canonical completely dropped Unity 8 and probably Mir too they will need to make up other reasons to hate them. If nothing all this successfully demonstrated that parts of Linux community are as toxic as any other community, perhaps even worse.
    I disagree.

Wayland vs Mir is a huge issue and is not some missing icons on desktop issue like you would like to present here. I don't know what to think about Canonical to tell the truth. Since they announced Mir I don't have very good opinion about them, I can tell you that.

Edit: To clarify further, in my opinion Mir did not help at all, and if anything it set Linux Desktop further back because of fragmentation. Moreover, I think snappy is cherry on top. Who sane would now consider to package anything for Linux.
    Last edited by srakitnican; 06 April 2017, 06:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• A-Singh
    replied
    Originally posted by dimko View Post

What you guys are smoking?

Just because a lot of people use Ubuntu, doesn't make their choice. Many of them are not happy. Many of them use Ubuntu because Ubuntu build up nice name BEFORE Unity.

A lot of people will hapilly not use Unity when Ubuntu will be using Gnome.
    Well, many of them are. Honestly if someone is capable of installing Ubuntu, they are capable of doing their research and coming to the realization that alternative desktop environments exist and are presented by default in other flavours and derivatives.

As for happily using GNOME afterwards, I guess we will see. Any significant departure from the "Unity look-and-feel" would be disconcerting for newer users especially if they have just become adjusted to it.

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Kubuntu and Gubuntu Xubuntu and what else - are not Ubuntu and they are used SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T WANT UNITY.
    They are all Ubuntu, and they have coexisted alongside vanilla Ubuntu since before Unity you know. People just happen to like alternative DEs available OOTB and that's perfectly fine. It doesn't mean the users of those flavours hate Unity.

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied

You keep repeating this lie that Unity doesn't work on Arch. Many distros choose to not support Unity, but that's their choice.

Distros are lazy, leaving all maintenance to the upstream, causing a single hierarchy of power which gets used to enforce certain political agendas. That is the fundamental issue with the distro model. Disagreement is not tolerated and if you fork, then you've been corrupted by the Evil NIH Inc. For some reason, though, it doesn't apply to everyone. Linux Mint has forked Gnome and chosen not to support Wayland, but nobody has any issues with that.

Sooner or later someone has to explain to me why a group of people should not be allowed to customize free software to fit their own purposes. I don't understand why that's evil.
    Because every cult mentality needs enemies and Ubuntu being the largest distribution out there is the best candidate for being the archenemy of the open source, before Ubuntu that place belonged to Microsoft, now new kids on the block consider Ubuntu to be evil, but in the end those who claim their plans were evil are basically a vocal minority on the Internet who want to appear bigger than they really are, 90% of Linux users dont give a crap about Wayland vs Mir and similar discussions, they just want their operating system to work as intended. Now that Canonical completely dropped Unity 8 and probably Mir too they will need to make up other reasons to hate them. If nothing all this successfully demonstrated that parts of Linux community are as toxic as any other community, perhaps even worse.

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied

Unity is fantastic for people who primarily use the keyboard and has lots of open windows. If you disregard those users, the office ninjas, then I would agree with you. But I am an office ninja and that's why I don't agree that Unity is just another "program launcher".

I'm completely open to the possibility that Canonical can use Gnome Shell as a base to create a similarly attractive desktop, but I'm definitely not going to replace Unity 7 with something inferior. And to be honest, I'm rather happy considering Unity 7 as a completed desktop if the end comes in 2021. I don't care much about phones and tablets, so to me, Unity 8 was the promise of a modern Unity 7 with the potential for even more powerful desktop features.

I've been doing desktop wars since Windows vs GEM, probably before I learned how to tie my show laces. I've seen all the desktops, tried them all and Unity is by far my favorite desktop of all time. Because even though Unity is superb for keyboard users like me, it's also quite nice for people who use mouse or touch most of the time.
    There is another beautiful thing about Unity, you dont have to use keyboard at all if you dont want to, you can perfectly use it with mouse only which is the case for me, I never used keyboard shortcuts and Unity was still a perfect match for my workflow, far less mouse work and clicks to do something than in Gnome, minimize on click option that came later and right click on the icon to see advanced options for software that supports it was another useful thing in Unity. Of all desktops Unity is the desktop that stays out of my way the most and I can do things I want to very very quickly on Unity, dash is especially useful to search for applications and files. I hope they will modify Gnome to make it more Unity-like, if not I am moving to Kubuntu or Ubuntu MATE. After Unity I find other desktops to be too slow in getting where I want to, but everyone has the right to their own taste, I dont have anything against people who like Gnome, but personally I find it terrible without lots of extensions and a dock.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X