Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

April Fools' Or Should Wayland Switch Away From Using C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peppercats
    replied
    All Haskell programs are bug-free because nobody ever runs them.

Leave a comment:

• cipri
    replied
    Originally posted by Xorg View Post
    Ha ha. What if I told you my favorite language is ASM? I'm joking, I prefer C.

A skilled C developer runs his program with Valgrind, and admires absence of errors and memory leaks.
    Heartbleed was also caused by a "skilled c developer".

cipri

Leave a comment:

• jKicker
    replied
    Originally posted by Xorg View Post

A skilled C developer runs his program with Valgrind, and admires absence of errors and memory leaks.
    That's true. That's what consumes every C developer sooner or later. Documentation, API and developer friendly interfaces then get lost in the abyss. Along with general usability and quality.

As long as it is fast and memory efficient (because you wrote it of course; hello security issues) nothing else matters.

Leave a comment:

• TumultuousUnicorn
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix
    Wayland in [your favorite language]

Leave a comment:

• Kendji
    replied
    Finish the dam thing before rewriting it, april fools or not.

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    the should use c++

Leave a comment:

• cipri
    replied
    This is like I do my c++17 gui framework. The wayland part I hide in a "unsafe class". It's very sad, that wayland is forcing me to use "reinterpet_cast", which is something like a little time-bomb. At least I found a way to put the unsafe stuff more tightly together instead of spreading it all over the framework.
    It means if something goes wrong (likes leaks and crashes) it will be because of the framework, and not because of the user of the framework.
    With c++ you can have the same speed (or faster!) and having at the same time more safety.

The c example of wayland clients/servers could look in c++ easier to follow with less code, better structured....
    There is a good reason why you barely find applications based on wayland directly! Gnome and KDE are working since years on wayland support and it's still not ready. If lib-wayland would be done with c++14 and being well designed, writing wayland clients would be a triviality! It would be easier than using QT [since QT has old style c++ api].

cipri

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Only on April 1st. debianxfce sounds normal

Leave a comment:

• Chewi
    replied
    Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    I feel that Wayland should be implemented in Amiga AMOS simply because it allows you to change the color of the cursor without much trouble.... yeah!....
    Code:
    Curs Pen 5
    Woo!

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Haskell? I didn't expect that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X