Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt Wayland Is Next Appearing On Tractors & Farm Equipment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Qt Wayland Is Next Appearing On Tractors & Farm Equipment

    Phoronix: Qt Wayland Is Next Appearing On Tractors & Farm Equipment

    With Qt 5.8's Qt Wayland Compositor Framework taking shape, more developers are beginning to tailor a Qt Wayland compositor to their use-cases. One of those is a company specializing in farm equipment like combine harvesters, tractors, and harvesters...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Farm-Equipment

  • #2
    So cool. In a couple years I might be eating lentils harvested with Wayland. ;- )

    Comment


    • #3
      Its funny to think about advanced/graphically intensive computing interfaces in farming equipment, but with prices in the $400,000(https://configure.deere.com/cbyo/#/e...bines/t-series) and above for this type of equipment, I would HOPE that it has a nice user interface, lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Its funny to think about advanced/graphically intensive computing interfaces in farming equipment, but with prices in the $400,000(https://configure.deere.com/cbyo/#/e...bines/t-series) and above for this type of equipment, I would HOPE that it has a nice user interface, lol.
        On one hand we know bulls aren't dragging plows through the mud anymore, but on the other it's still hard to think of how modern farming really is.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kver View Post

          On one hand we know bulls aren't dragging plows through the mud anymore, but on the other it's still hard to think of how modern farming really is.
          Heh , welcome to Norway then. Here at my farm we still carry buckets of water to the sheeps, and about 20 years ago when I was a tad slimmer and actually had hair on my head everything was manual... cutting grass by hand, moving it home by tractor, loading it in bags by hand, carrying the bags by hand to the sheeps and cows and feed them. Clean up their poop, put clean straw in the animal pen so they can rest dry, vaccinate them, milk them, fix fences, shear the sheeps, etc etc.... yup! modern farming is overrated

          http://www.dirtcellar.net

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            Its funny to think about advanced/graphically intensive computing interfaces in farming equipment, but with prices in the $400,000(https://configure.deere.com/cbyo/#/e...bines/t-series) and above for this type of equipment, I would HOPE that it has a nice user interface, lol.
            For that price I'd even demand Doom running in case i want to kill daemons while harvesting mah wheat field lol
            I wonder if there's a source port of doom for wayland

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by waxhead View Post

              Heh , welcome to Norway then. Here at my farm we still carry buckets of water to the sheeps, and about 20 years ago when I was a tad slimmer and actually had hair on my head everything was manual... cutting grass by hand, moving it home by tractor, loading it in bags by hand, carrying the bags by hand to the sheeps and cows and feed them. Clean up their poop, put clean straw in the animal pen so they can rest dry, vaccinate them, milk them, fix fences, shear the sheeps, etc etc.... yup! modern farming is overrated
              I used to help a farmer that was near my house when i was a child. There's no perfect life style but after living 20 years in the suburbs I miss the simple yet fulfilling life of a farmer.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                Its funny to think about advanced/graphically intensive computing interfaces in farming equipment, but with prices in the $400,000(https://configure.deere.com/cbyo/#/e...bines/t-series) and above for this type of equipment, I would HOPE that it has a nice user interface, lol.
                Yeah, a lot of farm equipment is computer-controlled these days. Computers are much better at following regular, pre-defined, linear routes for long periods of time than humans are, and that is what is needed in the massive corporate farms that dominate today. That was even the case 25 years ago when I visited a big corporate farm.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by danieru View Post

                  For that price I'd even demand Doom running in case i want to kill daemons while harvesting mah wheat field lol
                  I wonder if there's a source port of doom for wayland
                  Forget the navigation computers, many of these things are more than big enough for you to put a good-sized entertainment system in it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Back when i was a kid; automation on a farm was a reflection of the owners personality and desires. That was nearly 40 years ago, many of the farmers back then where actually college educated engineers. The publics image of farming simply doesnt jive with reality, it is technology driven like most businesses. I would not be surprised to find farmers today writing their own Arduino code.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X