No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Mir Finally Supports Drag & Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, feature parity with Windows 95.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

This appears to be something that was implemented almost 2 years ago.
      Originally posted by finalzone
      and work out of box on Fedora 25 Workstation based on Gnome 3.22.
      I am using Gnome 3.18 on Fedora 23, which is supposed to be the very same Gnome version that featured those commits. It does not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        I am using Gnome 3.18 on Fedora 23, which is supposed to be the very same Gnome version that featured those commits. It does not work.
        Fedora 23 already reached end of line last December. I suggest to upgrade to Fedora 25 which Gnome Software or terminal which addressed issues you encountered.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Not yet, but close.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

This appears to be something that was implemented almost 2 years ago.
            Originally posted by finalzone View Post

and work out of box on Fedora 25 Workstation based on Gnome 3.22.
            I guess to be fair, Wayland was a working specification, ie it had a reference implementation, before Mir was even conceived. And it was 5 years old when Mir was begun. So it shouldn't be too surprising that Wayland is ahead of Mir in development. Both of them were unusable for the first 5 years, lol

Comment

In Ubuntu 17.04 you can run GNOME 3.24 over Wayland already today. It supports drag-and-drop today. No need to wait for Mir, we already have Wayland today and it works.

It is to bad that Ubuntu ships with old versions of GNOME Terminal, Gedit and Nautilus.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                I guess to be fair, Wayland was a working specification, ie it had a reference implementation, before Mir was even conceived. And it was 5 years old when Mir was begun. So it shouldn't be too surprising that Wayland is ahead of Mir in development. Both of them were unusable for the first 5 years, lol
                And yet "speed to market" was one of the reasons Canonical cited for deciding to do it their own way... apparently under the misapprehension that things would go quicker if they started from scratch, and tried to build everything themselves with an under-resourced team and a shortage of relevant skills. Funny how these things play out, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  ;D
                  Here. Have one piece of internets.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Not true, Ubuntu will not ever fit to a CD-ROM (650 MB). Debian testing Xfce does fit.
                    The Ubuntu MinimalCD (~30-55MB) begs to differ.
                    Besides... how can any system or system component claim feature parity with Windows 95 without a "working" BSOD implementation?

Comment

I often read comments about how X11 is old, but besides that, is there any rational reason why would you want to replace it? Wayland is terrible at current stage, it may fit some (or even majority) use case scenarios, but it is not even close to X in terms of funcionality. MiR, we know it lags behind Wayland even.

I am not against introducing new (and potentially better) protocols, it's great, but why so much "hate" towards X? It is without question superior to any protocol, otherwise it wouldn't be used on de-facto every GNU/Linux distribution.

For my use case scenario, none of the new procotols could reach even basic functionality terms, let alone advanced things. For example, wayland relies on EDID information, when you are in use case scenario where EDID information is wrong, you have to jump trough tons of hoops, build your own EDID binary, load it in KMS, and pray to the Gods of Egypt it will work. How is that better than simple modeline in X? It can't be, and it isn't. I'm not even touching root privs...

TL;DR: X is good, and it is still far superior to any otehr protocol.

Comment

Working...
                      X