Some Of The Lesser Known Wayland Compositors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Fireplace was covered in this article...
    Ups! Sorry, my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
      Only 14 implementations? The not invented here isn't strong enough. You're running the risk of getting something done.
      IMO because of the Weston reference implementation this allows more diversity without having to reinvent the wheel. It seems like it will eliminate some of the problem we have now where some core functionality works on the gnome situation but not on the kde situation. This will let people actually choose the look and feel they like instead of only having a handful of options that work on their hardware.

As a side effect it will put a little more responsibility on some larger projects care more about making drastic and unpopular changes and only having to worry about losing a minimal amount of users.

Comment

Lots of QT based compositors out there (no surprise there. QT makes it super straightforward to build a Wayland compositor).
        Are there any written in GTK (Gnome/Mate aside)?

Comment

You have the Papyros project as well, however development seem to have stagnated https://github.com/papyros

Comment

I would have appreciated screenshots from all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              many state that wayland is not a compositor so what the fuck really is wayland!?
              Wayland is a protocol.
              A set of rules on how things should work.

Based on that set of rules, you can write as many compositors as you want.
              For reference, the Wayland developers write and maintain their own compositor: Weston.
              Anyone is free to use Weston, fork it, or write their own compositor from scratch...

I hope this is clear enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                You have the Papyros project as well, however development seem to have stagnated https://github.com/papyros
                That's because Papyros has been merged into the Liri project: https://liri.io/blog/2017/01/01/welcome-to-liri.html
                "Liri is the merge between Hawaii, Papyros and the Liri Project."

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
                  Is there a window manager that can do the following?

Normally if you connect two monitors to your PC, the 2nd monitor will only be an expansion if your first display
                  Both will show your current workspace. I you switch, both monitors will switch
                  What I want is the 2nd Monitor to be completly independent
                  So monitor 1 is showing workspace 1 and monitor 2 is showing workspace 2.
                  So that I can drag a window from monitor 1 to monitor 2 and it will move from workspace 1 to workspace 2

Is that even possible?
                  For example, herbstluftwm works the way you are describing. What is commonly referred to as a "workspace" is called a "tag" in herbstluftwm. You can set up several monitors (e.g. automatically matching the real monitor setup) and you can freely choose which tag to show on which monitor. If you cycle to another tag on monitor 0, the tag on monitor 1 is not affected.
                  Last edited by ypnos; 20 March 2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but the Arcan display server that was covered here on Phoronix last year has Wayland support on the roadmap. Here's a link to one of the Phoronix articles about Arcan https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...rver-September

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
                      Is there a window manager that can do the following?

Normally if you connect two monitors to your PC, the 2nd monitor will only be an expansion if your first display
                      Both will show your current workspace. I you switch, both monitors will switch
                      What I want is the 2nd Monitor to be completly independent
                      So monitor 1 is showing workspace 1 and monitor 2 is showing workspace 2.
                      So that I can drag a window from monitor 1 to monitor 2 and it will move from workspace 1 to workspace 2

Is that even possible?
                      Enlightenment. It's the default way it has worked in like ... forever. Multi screen support though is still not done for Wayland mode, but it's mature in X11. You'll get a pager per screen (if you add a shelf/panel/taskbar per screen and by default the first 3 screens i think have one configured)...

Comment

Working...
                      X