Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Of The Lesser Known Wayland Compositors

Phoronix: Some Of The Lesser Known Wayland Compositors

While GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, and Enlightenment are among the most talked about Wayland desktop/compositor implementations right now, there are still many active smaller projects working on their own Wayland compositors. Here's a look at some of them...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

many state that wayland is not a compositor so what the fuck really is wayland!?

Comment

Wayland is a protocol.

edit: Wayland <> X11, Wayland Compositor (mutter, weston, kwin, ...) <> Xorg.
      Last edited by -MacNuke-; 19 March 2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
        Wayland is a protocol.

edit: Wayland <> X11, Wayland Compositor (mutter, weston, kwin, ...) <> Xorg.
        how can a protocol replace a compositor?
        Last edited by Azrael5; 19 March 2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Is there a window manager that can do the following?

Normally if you connect two monitors to your PC, the 2nd monitor will only be an expansion if your first display
          Both will show your current workspace. I you switch, both monitors will switch
          What I want is the 2nd Monitor to be completly independent
          So monitor 1 is showing workspace 1 and monitor 2 is showing workspace 2.
          So that I can drag a window from monitor 1 to monitor 2 and it will move from workspace 1 to workspace 2

Is that even possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

how can a protocol replaces a compositor?
            It's not. Wayland and X11 are both protocols; any Wayland compositor is equivalent to Xorg, i.e., is an implementation of the protocol.

At least, that's how I understand it.

Comment

LOL Grefsen! Been there – add that to the list of compositors named after a place. To phoronix readers, that's 100km south of PTS 7.0.0-Ringsaker…

Thanks for the summary Michael! I find Weston a bit tiresome due to this old crash bug that they have yet to backport.

One "alternative compositor" that comes to mind (that I've been too lazy to try) is Orbital: https://github.com/giucam/orbital
              Last edited by andreano; 19 March 2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Only 14 implementations? The not invented here isn't strong enough. You're running the risk of getting something done.

Comment

There is another one written in Rust and using the wlc library, Fireplace (sources):

Comment

Originally posted by Antartica View Post
                    There is another one written in Rust and using the wlc library, Fireplace (sources):

Fireplace was covered in this article...
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X