Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Will Support NVIDIA's EGL Streams Approach

Phoronix: Mir Will Support NVIDIA's EGL Streams Approach

For those wondering about the NVIDIA binary driver support for Ubuntu's Mir display server, Mir appears to be planning its own support for using NVIDIA's EGL Streams implementation that has been criticized by Wayland developers while they continue hoping for a new API that's yet to materialize...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nothing lasts longer than a makeshift...

Comment

If Mir will be the first one to be working out of the box with full hardware support, it might be a winner. People want things to just work.

Comment

Originally posted by Danas_Anis View Post
        If Mir will be the first one to be working out of the box with full hardware support, it might be a winner. People want things to just work.
        Ehh people are already running Gnome and Weston on Wayland with their Nvidia cards. Canonical would first have to write EGL Platform Mir support for the Nvidia driver. Nvidia only provides EGL Platform Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Danas_Anis View Post
          People want things to "just" work?
          Oh really?

Why don't you use Windows?
          It works. It really does!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

People want things to "just" work?
            Oh really?
            That's why Linux has such a hard time cracking the home user market.

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Why don't you use Windows?
            It works. It really does!
            Like I hinted above, people that like things to work are split between Windows and OSX.

I like to tinker and I'm pretty sure I can configure a Linux box in a way that my wife that doesn't know much about computers could use without a problem. But a noob getting on the Linux train by themselves? No way.

Comment

GNU Linux works. I do not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                Nothing lasts longer than a makeshift...
                Especially when there seems to be lack of recocognition of the significance of a fresh approach that everyone involved can be happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I like to tinker and I'm pretty sure I can configure a Linux box in a way that my wife that doesn't know much about computers could use without a problem. But a noob getting on the Linux train by themselves? No way.
                  But be realistic... a "noob" isn't going to be doing that for *any* operating system. Yes, you could set up a Linux box (or a Windows box) that your wife could use without a problem. But I'm betting she couldn't set up a Windows box from scratch any more easily than she could a Linux box... and I'd say that's true of 99% of Windows users. They can learn to use what they're given, but they're utterly reliant on expert assistance to keep it working... whether that's a family member, or a paid support person.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

But be realistic... a "noob" isn't going to be doing that for *any* operating system. Yes, you could set up a Linux box (or a Windows box) that your wife could use without a problem. But I'm betting she couldn't set up a Windows box from scratch any more easily than she could a Linux box... and I'd say that's true of 99% of Windows users. They can learn to use what they're given, but they're utterly reliant on expert assistance to keep it working... whether that's a family member, or a paid support person.
                    I think that's the crux of the problem. After more than a quarter of a century a Linux box still needs to be "configured". A Windows or OSX box Just Works.

Comment

Working...
                    X