Sips water.
    Clears voice.
    Puts on glasses.
    Opens envelope.
    "Bullshit."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

Competition only works if there are two or more solutions that are adapted by different parties. The problem is, the only party that wants Mir is Canonical, everyone else, even the non-Unity Ubuntu flavors, are rooting for Wayland.
        I think you'll find the only thing most people give a big fat flying fig about is whether when they turn on their computer and click on the little pictures, something good happens without much fuss.

See, the competition isn't over the number of distros who want to package a particular display server, it's over providing a good experience to end users. The number of people who use Ubuntu on their desktop is actually larger than pretty much all other distros combined, and certainly way ahead of distros shipping the Wayland-based equivalents like Mutter, Kwin, or the latest Enlightenment. That seems like a fairly healthy competition, and that's good. We all win.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

I think you'll find the only thing most people give a big fat flying fig about is whether when they turn on their computer and click on the little pictures, something good happens without much fuss.

See, the competition isn't over the number of distros who want to package a particular display server, it's over providing a good experience to end users. The number of people who use Ubuntu on their desktop is actually larger than pretty much all other distros combined, and certainly way ahead of distros shipping the Wayland-based equivalents like Mutter, Kwin, or the latest Enlightenment. That seems like a fairly healthy competition, and that's good. We all win.
          I would add that the competition is also about who provides the best platform for developers who make these great thinks happen for the users. From that point of view Mir vs Wayland is of very little consequence as far as third-party development goes. I anticipate much much more heat and flames down the road in the snap vs flatpak area and between the various container management tools (LXD vs docker vs systemd-nspawn vs Clear Linux).

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post

Glad I am not the only one. XD
            That is the funniest thing I've read! Ha! Phoronix is a virtual mirror room for sentiments like that. Not the only one, please. Ha!

Comment

I have a rather unique perspective of the open source ecosystem. So, I generally feel like I am in the minority when I make my views known.

Comment

At least there are some common denominators between mir and wayland, like libinput, mesa, qt, gtk etc.
                All this things benefit from canonical's engagement.
                Sure, it would be better if they contribute actively to wayland but it's not yet happening.
                Things could be worse. Look at android or chrome or andromeda...
                Maybe we will see Mir on other distros in the future or maybe it will be dropped in favour of Wayland.

Comment

Unity push linux desktop for something better, maybe MIR do the same and Canonical wants to control their product, wayland it will become like X in few years, with a lot of garbage nobody needs

Comment

How feasible would it be for a third party to provide an adapter for using Wayland clients with Mir?

Comment

Originally posted by hsivonen View Post
                      How feasible would it be for a third party to provide an adapter for using Wayland clients with Mir?
                      It's entirely feasible. Is there a use case? Do you know of any applications written directly for the Wayland client API as opposed to using a toolkit like GTK+, Qt, libSDL, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                      X