Wayland 1.13 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Wayland doesn't work the same way as XOrg, i.e. it depends on the Wayland implementation, rather than XOrg which only has one server implementation. GNOME works pretty well with Wayland, and obviously so does Weston. Most bugs have been fixed in the latest GNOME/GTK 3.22 stable point releases IMHO. I can't speak for anything else though (e.g. KDE, Enlightenment, etc.).

I've noticed a few bugs with XWayland in one or two games, but I have not personally extensively tested XWayland besides internet browsing. For Chrome/Chromium, I see no difference aside from missing "suspend screensaver" functionality that exists using it in XOrg.

Wayland Performance and stability seem equivalent, but I find some of the small missing functionality can cause some usability "papercuts" (such as the screensaver issue described above). I would think this is the main gripe about Wayland, not stability or performance.

That's the way it is for kwin and mutter, but libweston saw its initial release with wayland 1.12 https://github.com/wayland-project/weston. At some point, libweston can, and probably should, be used to handle the details of the protocol for every wayland de.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      So for an old X user is Wayland and company there yet. That is can one expect the same stability and performance?
      I use wayland on both my work machine and personal ones with Gnome 3.22 and it's stable enough for a daily use.
      It happens sometimes that something goes wrong and I need to logout and login, but it occurs once per week circa, which is acceptable for me.

There are, however, some problematic use cases, being:

* VLC fullscreen often hang the entire system (already known bug)
      * teamviewer (that I sometimes use) doesn't work.

Comment

Does anyone know if wayland does/will support restarting/switching GPU on the fly without terminating compositor(right term?)/user session?

Comment

Window placement is weird for me in GNOME on Wayland 3.23.90.
          If I open an app, then move it around, and close it, then it doesn't open in that position where I closed it next time.

Comment

Originally posted by bwyan View Post

Still on X and using the amdgpu driver option "TearFree", which seems to work wonders for me personally in that regard. Any reason why I may want to avoid using this particular option performance wise?
            Well if it works well for your use case, then it's all good. But I used to find features like that had some sort of impact on performance, whether it be games or even the desktop itself. Mind you, I'm thinking back to the bad old Catalyst days...

Maybe the amdgpu driver does a better job of it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Window placement is weird for me in GNOME on Wayland 3.23.90.
              If I open an app, then move it around, and close it, then it doesn't open in that position where I closed it next time.
              I notice the same on X.org with 3.22 so it's gotta be a GNOME bug (even more so in your case as you're using a GNOME development release). Report it upstream

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

That's the way it is for kwin and mutter, but libweston saw its initial release with wayland 1.12 https://github.com/wayland-project/weston. At some point, libweston can, and probably should, be used to handle the details of the protocol for every wayland de.

Indeed, libweston does seem like better way forward, although I didn't want to comment as I personally have not looked into it. I should probably redact what I said by adding"At the moment" or something similar.

Comment

never really had any issues with screentearing with X except for some odd bug for using unstable packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Indeed, libweston does seem like better way forward, although I didn't want to comment as I personally have not looked into it. I should probably redact what I said by adding"At the moment" or something similar.

I just want to see, at least, the major compositors make use of it so that we have one less piece of critical infrastructure that is needlessly duplicated.
                    I'm not feeling too confident about mutter moving to this b/c of their ongoing meta efforts to abstract the various parts of the stack (kms/drm, input, renderer). At the same time, i don't recall having seen any gsk integration, either.

Comment

Working...
                    X