Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Now Easier Trying Firefox Wayland Support On Arch Linux & Flatpak Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Strange how Firefox seems to work on Wayland. The past few weeks people on here were saying that Firefox wouldn't run on Wayland at all but it seems like it's possible somehow after all...
    They were probably saying that Mozilla isn't working towards that in the slightest.
    RedHat must come to the rescue as usual if they want their OS to ship Firefox on Wayland.

Comment

You don't need to build Chromium from AUR. Regular chromium from extra works just fine on Wayland. It starts up on GNOME/Wayland with NVIDIA and since the NVIDIA driver doesn't support Xwayland it has to be native. Other apps like glxgears don't start up with NVIDIA under Wayland.

Comment

that's a big improvement to extend to all distros.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          You don't need to build Chromium from AUR. Regular chromium from extra works just fine on Wayland. It starts up on GNOME/Wayland with NVIDIA and since the NVIDIA driver doesn't support Xwayland it has to be native. Other apps like glxgears don't start up with NVIDIA under Wayland.
          By chance I installed arch on my desktop yesterday. I was in a rush and just guessed (doh) Firefox would have better Wayland support, so I tried that (using "GDK_BACKEND=wayland firefox" first under plasma-wayland-session then under weston) but it did not launch. I'm really keen to test chromium later today.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Chromium works natively on Wayland. Just install it from AUR.
            Launched Chromium under a Gnome Wayland session and used the "lg" command to investigate. Window shows as X11 still. Are additional actions/parameters needed?

It's too bad the flatpak is a debug build. Entirely too slow for any normal use but still thanks to the person who put it together.

Comment

I really hope eventually Flatpak becomes Mozilla's only official means of shipping Linux binaries. It would allow for fast updates and walking straight over any freeze policies

Comment

Since Firefox runs in Xwayland, but crashes Weston every time I want to reorder my tabs (or any other drag-and-drop action), I might consider this, though I'm not fond of Flatpak duplicating all the dependencies per application like it is on Windows.

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                I hope Flatpak becomes Mozilla's only official means of shipping Linux binaries. It would allow for fast updates and walking straight over any freeze policies
                …or everyone start using rolling release distros. That basically solves the same problem – developers are generally too lazy to backport bugfixes – when a bug report says "fixed", it means "fixed in the next release" – months of suffering for the vast majority of users.
                Last edited by andreano; 15 February 2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I've been reading the Firefox bug tracker about this and I wouldn't personally expect anything usable soon.. this is pretty much the only person that did some porting.

Comment

Originally posted by paintbynumbers View Post

Launched Chromium under a Gnome Wayland session and used the "lg" command to investigate. Window shows as X11 still. Are additional actions/parameters needed?

It's too bad the flatpak is a debug build. Entirely too slow for any normal use but still thanks to the person who put it together.
                    I'd be surprised if it ran on Wayland natively. First of all it still uses GTK2 which cannot run on Wayland. Last time we checked we couldn't even build GTK3 port of Chromium with Ozone (Wayland support) enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                      I've been reading the Firefox bug tracker about this and I wouldn't personally expect anything usable soon.. this is pretty much the only person that did some porting.
                      You mean Stransky? Yeah, that's the dev who's been pushing the gtk3 port on ff, and now it looks like he's trying to finish what's left for native wayland.
                      They being said, i wish Mozilla wasn't so damn obstinate about some of their decisions (moving from gstreamer).

Comment

Working...
                      X