Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston 2.0 Beta Released

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston 2.0 Beta Released

One day after the Wayland 1.13 Beta, the reference Weston compositor is updated to its 2.0 beta state...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why does my Wayland-ready GTK apps launch beautifully under Wayland, but X11 apps that run through XWayland launches with an ugly theme?

I use Ubuntu and my Wayland-ready GTK apps launch with my Adwaita theme, just as I want.
    But my old legacy X11 apps that run through XWayland uses the Ambiance theme. I do not want this.

Comment

Are there any people actually using Weston daily? As I understand it, it is supposed to be a reference implementation only.

Comment

At some point after version 57, Chromium will switch to using the GTK3 theme by default.
        Then Electron will pull in the new Chromium, then Atom, Spotify, VS Code, etc will all use GTK3.
        Maybe then those applications will support Wayland, although there might be more than GTK2 that relies on X11.

Current version of Chromium is 56.
        Version 57 is expected on Mar 14th, 2017.
        Version 58 is expected on Apr 25th, 2017.
        Version 59 is expected on Jun 6th, 2017.
        As per the Chromium release schedule.
        Last edited by uid313; 09 February 2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          At some point after version 57, Chromium will switch to using the GTK3 theme by default.
          Then Electron will pull in the new Chromium, then Atom, Spotify, VS Code, etc will all use GTK3.
          Maybe then those applications will support Wayland, although there might be more than GTK2 that relies on X11.
          Not much use if you want/need a color managed display though. For that, you need to stick to (real) X11, since Wayland has no color management support.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Are there any people actually using Weston daily? As I understand it, it is supposed to be a reference implementation only.
            As you've guessed, it's just a reference.
            I wouldn't be surprised to know that Gnome (for instance) reuses a lot of Weston's code. But other than that...

Comment

Working...
            X