Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.13 Beta Released

Phoronix: Wayland 1.13 Beta Released

Bryce Harrington at Samsung's Open-Source Group has announced the release of the Wayland 1.13 beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland might be great, but is not compelling to use if I have to run the most commonly used applications through X.Org.

Chrome, Firefox and Electron (hence Atom, Spotify, VS Code) does not support Wayland yet.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Wayland might be great, but is not compelling to use if I have to run the most commonly used applications through X.Org.

Chrome, Firefox and Electron (hence Atom, Spotify, VS Code) does not support Wayland yet.
      Chrome doesn't support Wayland yet, but Chromium does. They inherited a lot of the chromium-ozone code and you can install said version from AUR if you're on Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Chrome doesn't support Wayland yet, but Chromium does. They inherited a lot of the chromium-ozone code and you can install said version from AUR if you're on Arch.
        Chromium 55 on Ubuntu doesn't work on Wayland yet.
        Chromium 56 isn't available yet on Ubuntu.

Comment

You could always compile a build yourself.
          Or install the most recent Chromium from the following PPA.

This PPA contains the latest Chromium Dev builds, with hardware video decoding enabled (hidden behind a flag) and support for Widevine (needed for viewing paid videos on Netflix and Youtube) enabled. == Hardware Video Decoding == To enable hardware video decoding, start Chromium with the --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder argument. To make this persistent, create a file at /etc/chromium-browser/customizations/92-vaapi-hardware-decoding with the following contents: CHROMIUM_FLAGS="${CHROMI...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The only reason Wayland is not compeling to use, to me, is because i can only use it with Gnome, and i don't use Gnome...
            Otherwise, it's normal that at first we'll have to run most apps through xwayland and with time they get ported...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

The only reason Wayland is not compeling to use, to me, is because i can only use it with Gnome, and i don't use Gnome...
              Otherwise, it's normal that at first we'll have to run most apps through xwayland and with time they get ported...
              What are you talking about? Enlightenment also works fine on Wayland, so does Hawaii, Sway (i3 port to Wayland), Budgie, Mate. KDE also works more or less. Sure, not all of them work perfect on Wayland yet, but they are working so you don't need GNOME to use Wayland.

Comment

What are you talking about? Enlightenment also works fine on Wayland, so does Hawaii, Sway (i3 port to Wayland), Budgie, Mate. KDE also works more or less. Sure, not all of them work perfect on Wayland yet, but they are working so you don't need GNOME to use Wayland.
                KDE does not work on Wayland. It's making progress, but it's not there yet.
                Never even heard of Hawaii or Sway.
                And i don't use Enlightenment, Budgie or Mate.

I don't think i'm being biased when i say that in Linux, when we talk about DEs, we're mainly referring to Gnome, KDE, Unity and Cinnamon. There are others. They have their uses. But we're talking of a much smaller user base, which i don't fit into.
                Last edited by nomadewolf; 09 February 2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

KDE does not work on Wayland. It's making progress, but it's not there yet.
                  Never even heard of Hawaii or Sway.
                  And i don't use Enlightenment, Budgie or Mate.

I don't think i'm being biased when i say that in Linux, when we talk about DEs, we're mainly referring to Gnome, KDE, Unity and Cinnamon. There are others. They have their uses. But we're talking of a much smaller user base, which i don't fit into.
                  No, you said that you can use Wayland only with GNOME. I simply corrected you by listing more DE's that work on Wayland. (and KDE 5.9 does work Wayland, it's not perfect yet, but it does run and Budgie is getting more and more popular, so the userbase is increasing) A more complete list can be found here btw: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...desktop_shells

But what exactly are you using? (what DE, I mean)
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 09 February 2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

No, you said that you can use Wayland only with GNOME. I simply corrected you by listing more DE's that work on Wayland. (and KDE 5.9 does work Wayland, it's not perfect yet, but it does run and Budgie is getting more and more popular, so the userbase is increasing) A more complete list can be found here btw: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...desktop_shells

But what exactly are you using? (what DE, I mean)
                    Let's be fair here... Fedora 25 'just' came out with Wayland by default. We're talking about one distro, trying to make the move. It's finnaly on the horizon, we can see it, but we're not there, yet.
                    And Gnome is the DE with the best Wayland support, or maybe Enlightenment. I know they also have invested alot on Wayland.
                    Budgie is a good looking upcoming DE, but i don't know about their Wayland support...
                    KDE, i test almost every week http://files.kde.org/neon/images/pla...table/current/ and while it's making progress lately, it's just not usable. Not stable enough. Just no.

That said, and answering to your question, the DE i use is Cinnamon, which doens't even has plans for Wayland.
                    Last edited by nomadewolf; 09 February 2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X