Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput 1.6 Released With New Touchpad Acceleration

Phoronix: Libinput 1.6 Released With New Touchpad Acceleration

Peter Hutterer has announced the latest stable version of libinput, the input handling library commonly used across modern X.Org / Wayland / Mir systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think the most common complaint was that it was slow but rather that it was too fast and that it used to get fast with barely any movement, making it hard to make more precise movements, frequently leading to overshooting.

Comment

I'm one of those unlike people who had to manually switch from libinput to synaptics because of issues with my trackpad.

On Arch, why isn't 1.6 in testing? I can only find 1.5 here. What's going on with Arch these days? We were behind Fedora getting x-org-server 1.9. And now looks like we're going to have to wait to try out this fix for our trackpads.

Edit: looks like it just landed it testing. Thanks maintainers!
      Last edited by slacka; 20 January 2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
        I don't think the most common complaint was that it was slow but rather that it was too fast and that it used to get fast with barely any movement, making it hard to make more precise movements, frequently leading to overshooting.
        That doesnt sound like an acceleration issue but instead your trackpad is reporting an incorrect resolution.
        That can only be addressed through bug reporting and updates to the libinput tweaks file.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
          I'm one of those unlike people who had to manually switch from libinput to synaptics because of issues with my trackpad.

On Arch, why isn't 1.6 in testing? I can only find 1.5 here. What's going on with Arch these days? We were behind Fedora and Suse Tumbleweed getting x-org-server 1.9. And now looks like we're going to have to wait to try out this fix for our trackpads.
          To be fair 1.6 was released today, and the actual stable package (1.5.4) was flagged out of date today.
          I guess 1.6 will hit testing soon. Maybe 1.6 will hit testing even today. Maintainers are no robots, so relax a bit.

What's more interesting is why Kernel 4.9 hasn't hit stable yet, although we are already at 4.9.4.

What did you mean with xorg-server 1.9? Arch is on 1.19 already and Tumbleweed not.
          Last edited by theghost; 20 January 2017, 04:32 AM. Reason: xorg question addecd

Comment

Originally posted by slacka
            On Arch, why isn't 1.6 in testing? I can only find 1.5 here. What's going on with Arch these days? We were behind Fedora and Suse Tumbleweed getting x-org-server 1.9. And now looks like we're going to have to wait to try out this fix for our trackpads.
            To be fair, Fedora's Xorg adoption policy is not always welcome, for example they switched to Xorg 1.18 before it had nVidia proprietary driver support, which initiated some flaming from users. Remember that Arch is bleeding edge, rolling realease, but it is by no means meant to be unstable. Also you are free to package it yourself and contribute ;-)
            Last edited by omer666; 20 January 2017, 04:37 AM.

Comment

As for Kernel 4.9... maybe the reports about unbootable systems are the reason for leaving it in testing. Just look at the bugtracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                Made by RH/Gnome. The lesser desktops and dists commited no code. Zip. Zero. Nothing.
                You mean libinput? libinput has the same person/maintainer as synaptics.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

To be fair 1.6 was released today, and the actual stable package (1.5.4) was flagged out of date today.
                  I guess 1.6 will hit testing soon. Maybe 1.6 will hit testing even today. Maintainers are no robots, so relax a bit.

What's more interesting is why Kernel 4.9 hasn't hit stable yet, although we are already at 4.9.4.

What did you mean with xorg-server 1.9? Arch is on 1.19 already and Tumbleweed not.
                  No robots indeed. It depends on the maintainers' spare time. Same with AUR. For example, sometimes vivaldi-snapshot in AUR is updated right after Vivaldi Team announces the new snapshot. But sometimes it takes a few or couple of days for the AUR package to be updated, leaving others, like Solus for example, to be faster with delivering said update. Not a problem IMHO, they (Arch devs and AUR packagers) can only do so much with the spare time they have.
                  Bottom line: we should have a little patience, it comes when it comes

Comment

Yeah, kernel 4.9 on Arch is being held up for very good reasons - I've been trying it through testing; until 4.9.4 the i915 DRM was completely borked on my SandyBridge laptop, and I've had one hang with 4.9.4 now.

Arch goes for the latest that works, not blindly packaging every upstream tarball.

Comment

Working...
                    X