GTK's Vulkan Renderer Now Working On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
    looks better than modern KDE to be honest.

So which desktop should i use to get mutter with nvidia on wayland and vulkan GTK support? Looking to move on from KDE.
    Vulkan GTK support won't land until GTK4 so there's no distro supporting that.

Regarding nvidia on wayland the only distro I know which has applied nvidias patches is Fedora. You can also apply the patches yourself of course if you feel like it, but I personally wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Regarding nvidia on wayland the only distro I know which has applied nvidias patches is Fedora. You can also apply the patches yourself of course if you feel like it, but I personally wouldn't.
      You don't have to apply any patches. The code is in mainline mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercoms View Post
        So how do I use the Vulkan renderer? Some environment variable?
        Yes, just like this:
        GSK_RENDERER=vulkan GDK_BACKEND=wayland gtk4-demo

see: https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2017...-happenings-2/

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
          They should now take a sane default ui like material instead of adwaita. My personal opinion, adwaita is just old looking
          I prefer KDE's Breeze. It's one of four main reasons I use it over GNOME (which has much better Wayland support), next to krunner, built-in BorderlessMaximizedWindows and Plasmoids being a much better way to fill the DE panel than the gnome-shell extension system.

Comment

It's stuff like this that makes me seriously consider going back to gnome, but I'm not ready to give up the insane level of customization I get with KDE yet.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Fedora never backported those patches but it will be there in Fedora 26 w/ Gnome 3.24.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
                So this should help with power usage and performance? Will all the default gnome apps need to be rewrote to take advantage of Vulkan? I keep dabbling my toes into Wayland, but until Kodi works nicely without jitter and odd interface flashing.. I can't make the switch.
                As of this moment Cairo is faster in most things but eventually yes it should be more efficient. Applications largely won't need to be rewritten unless they make custom widgets.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                  I prefer KDE's Breeze.
                  There is an effort to port Breeze to GNOME.

Personally, I can't get enough of Arc. I'm a bit of a theme whore (I wrote this) but after trying any theme for a bit I always come back to Arc. It's plainly the best-looking an clearest theme I have used for any desktop, ever. A few GNOME distros use it as a default theme, and for good reasons. I hope it replaces Adwaita.

Comment

Overall I want to like KDE more but I've not been able to use Plasma 5 without breakage on 2 screens with normal desktop desktop usage. So, I'm still on Gnome primarily because it doesn't look bad and it works. All of the problems I've encountered with the Nvidia blob + wayland are present on Intel + wayland as well.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

There is an effort to port Breeze to GNOME.

Personally, I can't get enough of Arc. I'm a bit of a theme whore (I wrote this) but after trying any theme for a bit I always come back to Arc. It's plainly the best-looking an clearest theme I have used for any desktop, ever. A few GNOME distros use it as a default theme, and for good reasons. I hope it replaces Adwaita.
                      can you make a screenshot?

Comment

Working...
                      X